Does a 75 Starter Motor fit an Alfetta Motor?

Started by Rob Berson, February 03, 2011, 07:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Berson

Anyone know if I can fit a 75 starter motor onto my 1980 Alfetta motor as a direct fit with no mods? If so anybody got a good one for sale?

Thaks

Rob 

vin sharp

Rob,
Count the ring-gear teeth, an Alfetta will most likey be 131, which is a bit awkward. A T/S lightweight, hi-torque starter is meant to match 130 teeth......although I know some people have fitted them on race cars with 131. Not ideal but at least it is a minimum of start-ups compared to a road car. If you're interested, I stock new original T/S starters.
Did your transaxle arrive?

Paul Newby

Rob,
Vin is correct. I originally thought that a 2 Litre flywheel would suit the T/S Starter, and Vin built up my engine accordingly. From then on I had an infuriating whirring sound, but both the starter and the ring gear survived.

When I had the engine rebuilt I gave Vin the flywheel from my 1.8 engine (130 teeth) and we put that on with no dramas.
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Neil Choi

Thanks Paul and Vin for the info.

Fantastic, as I now have a 1.8 Alfetta flywheel (which needs to be lightened) and a TS starter.  I think I already have a lightened TS flywheel.  So I think I am in business.

Cheers all for the valuable info.

Just for information sake, I previously fitted a 2L Alfetta starter to the 1.8 GT motor, not a good mix.

Neil

Sam

hey everyone,

my starter just gave up.

It would be nice to use a ligther / better unit.

From your posts, it seems the T/S unit is better, but there is a mismatch in the gearing?

I understand the Alfetta ring gear has 131 teeeth while the TSpark starter more is set up for 130.

Can the small gear on the Alfatta Starter motor be switched to the T/Spark starter?
would this get over the mismatch problem?

Thanks
Sam