75 Performance.

Started by Duk, May 27, 2011, 08:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duk

Initially I was going to go the NA route for increased Alfa speed. Ported heads, custom made inlet manifold and possibly cams and extra compression. But when I tripped over a Vortech V5 F trim (off of a TRD enhanced Toyota Scion) on Ebay for good dollars, the boost fiend had his way, again.
Just for the record, I love Greg Gordon's work, and a positive displacement supercharger is probably the better choice of the 2, but I couldn't justify spending that sort of money (Not that Greg's kit is over priced, far from it!) on the car.
So a couple of photos that show the mount prototype work.

shiny_car

This'll be interesting!  8)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

MD

I look forward to seeing your bonnet...
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Duk

Quote from: MD on May 28, 2011, 08:08:30 AM
I look forward to seeing your bonnet...

The bonnet closes and there is about 25mm clearance to it. Having said that, I still think I'll need to restrain the torque reaction of the engine. So either similar mounts to what you used on the Brick or I'll add a torque arm to the lifting point of the passenger side head.

ARQ164 Shane

you are a brave man .I have Greg book on supercharging if that helps.
are you going to run the Power steering?
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Duk

Quote from: alphie75 on May 28, 2011, 08:39:26 AM
you are a brave man .I have Greg book on supercharging if that helps.
are you going to run the Power steering?

I'm not sure why you think I'm brave?
Yep, I got Greg's book when it was released, awesome read.
I will be running power steering. Intending to have 6* of positive caster with 225 wide tyres on 8" rims (when I can find something I like), will get pretty weighty in car parks and the like.

BradGTV

awesome  8)
any power figure you will aiming for?
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

Duk

Quote from: BradGTV on May 28, 2011, 09:12:30 AM
awesome  8)
any power figure you will aiming for?

Yes and no. I think 300 engine horse power is very real, but I won't be chasing a specific number. I'm more interested in getting some boost into it and keeping it in 1 piece. The biggest concern is the potential for valve float with some extra boost behind the inlet valves.

Other planned additions are:
A water to air intercooler (I'd prefer an air to air intercooler, but getting the 2.5" plumbing to and from it without cutting holes in the car ain't gunna happen with a bigger radiator).

Bigger injectors. I'm eying off some Nissan RB20det injectors at the moment.

I'm sticking with the VL Commondore (Nissan) engine management system the will have the Nistune real time tuning interface. Though because these older Nissan EC don't use a TPS based acceleration enrichment, they apparently work better with the AFM set up as a blow through arrangement when people start adding volume (like intercoolers and associated plumbing) between the turbo (on a VL Turbo) and the throttle body. I think I'll apply the same approach here. It will give me more pre-supercharger room, too.

Water injection.

ARQ164 Shane

:) ;) :D ;D nice round number "300"  ::)
Hi Neighbour,
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Storm_X

whats the plans for the car duck ?
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Duk

Duk

A bracket that could actually do the job  8) I still need to sort out drive pulleys and some form of belt tensioner though, so this bracket may require extra work or a complete remake. Notice the power steering pump bracket is modified so that it doesn't have the step anymore. The SC bracket and some shim washers take the place of the 2 original 12.5mm spacers, but it uses all 3 of the power steering pump mounting points, so the bracket is modified to suit.

ARQ164 Shane

O.G speed shop 08 8261 7700  should have one for a TRD supercharger or I.&A. Engineers 8346 2981 croydon park
could make one to suit .
Hi Neighbour,
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Duk

Cheers Alphie  ;). Fitter and machinist by trade, so actually making the stuff (guess who made the bracket  ;D) isn't a major issue. Finding the time and desire (on night shifts) is, though.

Sheldon McIntosh

Very interesting.  Please keep us updated as you go.