Phillip Island Historics

Started by alfagtv58, March 21, 2011, 02:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv58

What a great weekend, a HUGE amount of Alfa's competing and racing hard over multiple categories.  The last race for me (Group Sc)was awesome, 2 Porsches, 2 Alfettas and a 240Z nose to tail for the last 4 laps and changing positions regularly, about 1 second covered the 5 of us at the end  ;D

Good to see more and more Victorians getting involved.

My personal thanks to Stuart for lending a hand over the weekend (and cooking us breakfast!), but lets not start on the PTFE tape again  ;) and also to Neil for organising accom (Neil cant go away for a weekend without organising something hehe).

This photo was sent to me by Evan.....anyone else have some photos of all the Alfa's competing?
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

alfagtv58

Hey, hmd....tell the type 901 boys it was great to see so many of them coming out of the woodwork now too!
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

hmd

Yes, but most of the Typ901 boys are in Sb.

Anyway a great weekend indeed. I spent all of the 4 races chasing or being chased in a pack of 6 Alfas
myself, David Harris (NSW 105), Nick Taylor (Vic Spider), Lyndon (NSW Alfetta), Urs (NSW Alfetta), Chris Blanden (VIC 105)
then thrown in the odd Ferrari 308 and Datsun 260Z. My arms are still sore from holding onto the steering wheel for dear life.

Paul Gulliver

Phil ,
Really enjoyed the Group S racing on the weekend. The Alfa representation in the Under 3 litre touring cars wasn't quite as strong as in previous years and the Mazda RX 2 , seem to be be getting quicker & quicker, maybe more RX7 than RX 2 .  Not trying to hijack your thread but I found this footage from last years meeting with the leading RX2's.  They might go fast in a straight line but it looks like you have to very brave under brakes or around corners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJzM7WgmFdk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUJL6fPbaBE&feature=BF&list=ULTYvT7M6SpDM&index=4.

Cheers

Gully

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Chris Blanden

I concur, a fabulous weekend of racing, particularly for me as it was my first in living memory. I now have one valuable signature on my new licence!

Really enjoyed chasing, but unfortunately not passing, Hung. The only downside was on the last lap of the last race, as I lifted off for the braking point into turn 1, BANG, the rubber donut on the back of the gearbox exploded. It's can-opened from the floor on the driver's side all the way across the tunnel and into the floor on the passenger side. The hole is big enough to put your hand into. The alu control panel holding the kill and a few other switches screwed to the tunnel, was fired off with enough force to break the windscreen on the passenger side. All this at 200kph!

On a serious note, I was very lucky not to be hurt by either the flailing drive shaft (driving with crossed legs is difficult) or the ballistic control panel. I know these things are very rare, but perhaps those who compete, particularly in 105's, should think about something better than the standard donut. I've already ordered the Spruell Motorsport race solution from the US and Alfaholics do a complete replacement of the donut. I'll see if I can post some photos which are sure to cause at least a sharp intake of breath!

Despite my formerly pristine car being nowhere near it, it can be rebuilt and it was a fabulous weekend. At least it didn't happen on the first lap of the first race!

Evan Bottcher

There's a braking point for turn one?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on March 21, 2011, 06:17:01 PM
There's a braking point for turn one?

If you have horsepower, yes...  ;D

Sheldon McIntosh

A few pics I managed to get.  Group S...

Sheldon McIntosh

More Group S...

Sheldon McIntosh

Under 3 litre Touring Cars....

Sheldon McIntosh

Group A...

Sheldon McIntosh

A few random ones.  This orange RX2 driver was one of the best I saw all weekend.  Fast and smooth, but significantly sideways at other moments too, all easily controlled; a pleasure to watch.  And some nice old cars....

Paul Gulliver

QuoteThis orange RX2 driver was one of the best I saw all weekend.  Fast and smooth, but significantly sideways at other moments too, all easily controlled

I would also add "on the edge", Jason Humble RX2. Refer to 2010 PI Historics clip earlier in this thread take from the rear of his car . I don't know if he is arrogant or he is really good (considering his name) but he usually has the camera in his car facing  out the back  as he is usually on pole.

In the interests of saftey those Japanese jam tins might need an aero package exemption.  
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Evan Bottcher

I posted a few more crappy photos here: http://alfa.bottch.com/2011/03/pi-historics-2011-group-sc/
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

And here's a short video of Group Sc race one coming through Siberia on Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY1NAra6Qt0
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV