My uncle's Alfa 2600 Sprint GTV sitting idle for 20 years! :(

Started by 82Alfetta, July 18, 2010, 02:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

82Alfetta

Sorry if this is the wrong section, I cant find "106 series" section so i decided to post it here.

Well, shes been sitting there for the last 20 years! When i offered to buy he wont sell but then he wont save her either! Damn it!

Note the AIRCOND!

Sigh! :(
"Men change gears using the Clutch, Paddles are for Women with high heels..."

oz3litre

Did he used to drive it? If so he might be reluctant to let go of the memories of his lost youth and good times he had in the car. Keep working on him. Tell him how beautiful it will look when you restore it and that it will rot beyond repair if it is left like that. Offer to let him drive it whenever he wants, once you have it on the road. Tell him it is better if it goes to someone in the family who will love it as much as he does. Saying all this in the presence of his wife, (if he has one), might help too. She would probably be glad to see it gone.
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

82Alfetta

Quote from: oz3litre on July 18, 2010, 11:48:06 AM
Did he used to drive it? If so he might be reluctant to let go of the memories of his lost youth and good times he had in the car. Keep working on him. Tell him how beautiful it will look when you restore it and that it will rot beyond repair if it is left like that. Offer to let him drive it whenever he wants, once you have it on the road. Tell him it is better if it goes to someone in the family who will love it as much as he does. Saying all this in the presence of his wife, (if he has one), might help too. She would probably be glad to see it gone.

The car originally belongs to late Grandpa, he bought new in 1965/1966. He passed away about 20 yrs ago when I was too young to know anything about saving old cars...

So the family decided to "give" the 2600 to my uncle (the current owner). Sadly he wasn't interested in saving her - just left her like that out in the open. (was UNDER THE TREE for 5 years before he put her under the "roof" now).

Now that I know how to restore and appreciate old cars, I offered him a sum of money but he said he will not sell. So I said why not I restore her for you but you pay for the bills, he said no either...

Perhaps looking at how strong the AUD$ to MY Ringgit is now, you guys could come over to Malaysia and offer him "something he can't refuse"... and ship her back home Aussieland...

:(
"Men change gears using the Clutch, Paddles are for Women with high heels..."

aron

Quote from: Choderboy on July 18, 2010, 09:59:27 AM
I don't think I'll every really understand people...

I second that...why are they doing this?? I have found a few people who are like this rather let it rot than to either restore it back or sell it to someone who could restore it to glory..

Alfa Romeo, the fun starts after 3500 RPM

Ads

At least you know it's original  ;)

I don't understand the mentality here, if you don't have plans to restore, wouldn't you rather give it to someone that appreciates its history AND derives satisfaction from letting it live?  Unless of course your uncle has some memories of that car and your grandfather that are too strong...
Prev: 75 TS
Prev: 1974 1600GT Junior (2 litre)

Barry Edmunds

Don't even bother to try and fathom the thinking of some people. You'll finish up crazier than them if you try.
Why not sit your Uncle down in front of your computer and let him have a look at some restored cars, particularly any 2600's. That might kick-start him into action.
Persistence and frequent visits with photos of retsored 2600's might help sway him.
Good luck

MD

I used to think rocking horse shit was rare but it has just been guzumped. What an interesting restoration this would make  !! Reckon you'd have to beat them off with a stick once it was all restored and polished.  ::)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

massiveluvbuddy67

Unless you are a restoration genius don't even bother! This one is stuffed. If you are a masochist though, this is your perfect adventure! If anyone is tempted please have a chat with Tony Hawker or myself before embarking upon such a folly so that you are fully informed. You are far better off buying Hugh Harrison's 2600 and fixing that one up. It will cost a fraction of this one.
Over and out...
Phil
(2600 owner twice over)

stradale

Have noted the aircon must have been the last modification before the car was retired
It might be the best place to start for a restoration ::)
The heat and humidity in malaysia is not kind to old Alfas