3l GTV6 PRC project

Started by redalfaracing, January 24, 2009, 07:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redalfaracing

Pep asked for some pics of my new GTV6. I brought it home yesterday on a trailer, had to borrow a mates as it didn't run and my trailer has no winch ( the Alfetta never breaks bown so i don't need one!). All was well until i hit the Hallam by-pass when the wheels fell off literally. I'm not kidding, front passenger side wheel on the trailer came loose, nuts only on by a whisker. very lucky i didn't loose them. Hope that isn't an omen for this project. Finally got it home, unloaded it and went back to work. After dinner i tipped some fuel in it and turned the key. started effortlessly and ran for 20 seconds then died. no amount of cranking would make it fire. Worked out that the fuel pump wasn't running, so i hot wired it and instant success. Tried this morning in the light to start it. same problem. Changed the airlow meter, then the double relay thing, nothing. followed the wiring back and found that black thing with the button on the top. Primer i think. pressed the button a few times and fuel pump started. engine then started and has run perfectly ever since. Bow has that thing got some get up and go. 3rd gear powerslides on the gravel roads. i am impressed. shame about the syncros! never mind i can fix that.
My first task is to get a RWC and get it registered. Easier to register a standard car than a rally car. I could put it on CH plates but i would like to be able to use it with less restrictions. 
Any way, here are some pics. I will keep you posted of the progress if you are interested.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Mat Francis

I'd be very interested to see updates Greg, and i'm sure there are PLENTY of others also. Sounds like a whole heap of fun!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

david sammartino

sounds like you are refering to the inertia switch.

redalfaracing

Is that what that thing is. better ditch that cause in a rally every corner will make it shut off. good idea in theory, but just one more component to acquire a gremlin. Thanks for the info.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

pep105

Thanks for posting the photos Greg, this thing seems to be a bit of a launcher with the 3 litre conversion, 3rd gear powerslides hey - alright!

looks like a good solid unit no doubt you'll have a ball - Congrats

I look forward to your progress updates

Cheers
Pep 

Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

redalfaracing

No Pep, still a 2.5. Wait til i get the 3L in her, then it should be a force to be reckoned with!
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Sheldon McIntosh

I may have missed something.  If it's a Production Rally Car, how can you run it with a 3 litre?

redalfaracing

Sheldon, being a pre '86 normally aspirated car, there are a few more freedoms allowed. concerning the engine, the block and head(s), number of cam shafts and their drive, number of valves and number of spark plugs and their position must be as produced. the crank, pistons etc are free.  the 2.5 litre block can be machined to accept the 3L liners and crank.  Heads can be fitted with oversized valves. this is quite legal and indeed common place in prc. there are a lot of 2.4 litre stanzas and 2 litre datsun 1600's running around. I have a donor 164 3 Litre motor which i will use to turn the 2.5 into a 3L. Hope that clears up your confusion.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Scott Farquharson

Gee Whiz, 250+ HP at least, I might go and do PRC!  Gee a GTV6 like that on dirt would be awesome!  Keep us all in the loop on it's development and competition - love to know how it turns out.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

redalfaracing

Scott, It's the best legal fun you can have sitting down. But i do need to sell that '77 gtv to help finance it. It does come with all the bits you need to make it go,you know! Maybe you should come and have a look?
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

pep105

Quote from: redalfaracing on January 28, 2009, 09:41:10 PM
No Pep, still a 2.5. Wait til i get the 3L in her, then it should be a force to be reckoned with!

Right OK and given the freedom of mods allowed looks like its all over, how many horses are we talking is it in the ballpark Scott is saying - keeps us posted on all the details 
Current
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

redalfaracing

Pep, max horspower is not my goal. I am willing to sacrifice high top end HP for a good spread of power and an engine that will last for a long while. Yes i will keep you posted as it takes shape. Gotta get through the air/con season b4 i can get started on it. Given last weeks weather i am working long hours. Every one seems to want a split system and they want it yesterday!
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

pep105

Yeah last week was a joke how hot it was didnt even bother to go in the garage to start the 105 or my vespa - bugga that, maybe I need a split system in there  ;D  At least your work is in demand everyone else is struggling

Understand what you mean by the engine mods given its application, didnt mean to sound like someone who is just interested in how many kahunas its got, its how it delivers it and no doubt engine life and a useable power band are important for what you what to do. I have a 2 litre engine for the Jnr on the garage floor  that wont set the world on fire but is a good useable strong engine thats good for the street and will do the job for trackdays - more on that later in another thread when it cools down and get back in the garage. 
Current
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

redalfaracing

A Gravel rally engine needs to have a broad power spread as often you find yourself about to face the wrong way in a corner and if your engine boggs down when you floor it, you have no chance of driving out of it. By the time you find the apprpriate lower ratio it is usually too late. And pretty embarrasing if it happens at a spectator point!
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

I wish i lived in Thousand Palms California .......Ebay Item number: 130285718908
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC