2.4 cylinder head removal - help needed

Started by GeckoRider, August 23, 2018, 11:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeckoRider

Hey guys I'm 90% of the way through removing my cylinder head to see if I have a cracked head or failed gasket.

but for the life of me I cannot get the thing off and I don't know if I'm missing something.

I have removed the cam shaft housing, intake manifold, turbo and all visible bolts (there is other things I cant remember off the top of my head).

I'm not sure if the rockers or studs have to be removed first?

any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!  ;D

bazzbazz

Ahhh, just before you go any further, may I ask why it is you think you may have a cracked head or failed gasket?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

GeckoRider

Quote from: bazzbazz on August 24, 2018, 01:09:29 PM
Ahhh, just before you go any further, may I ask why it is you think you may have a cracked head or failed gasket?

Overheating, large amounts of exhaust gas in coolant res, white smoke and coolant loss without a leak.

Citroënbender

That's a bit damning. :(

Sure the head isn't just stuck down now? What does elearn say?

GeckoRider

Quote from: Citroënbender on August 24, 2018, 01:57:42 PM
That's a bit damning. :(

Sure the head isn't just stuck down now? What does elearn say?

I don't know if its stuck don't want to try too hard incase somthing important is holding it on haha.
Cant find any good info in elearn says you can only do procedure with the engine out, and that guide only shows how to remove everything not just what needs to be removed...

I will have another look at elearn though.

GeckoRider

I finally got it off I left one of the head bolts in because I'm an idiot haha

cylinders where full of coolant, doesn't look like a cracked head, gasket looks a bit dodgy.

Is this head gasket supposed to be in pieces? I can see through it if I hold it sideways like its warped not sure if this is normal or not.

Citroënbender

Yes, it is an MLS (multi-layer steel) laminated type gasket as commonly used in modern diesels.

A cursory glance suggests you may have an engine whose coolant was allowed to acidify from ageing.

I'd suggest having the head checked for true after the bolt issue. Don't mix up the injector positions either, assuming you pull them out.

bazzbazz

Quote from: GeckoRider on August 24, 2018, 09:32:24 PM
I finally got it off I left one of the head bolts in because I'm an idiot haha

DOH!

From what can be seen in the photo, yes, gasket is definitely FUBAR.

Clean all the water out of the cylinders, clean both mating surfaces of head & block fit new gasket. Don't forget to change oil & filter when all is done.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au