156 JTS wing mirror/s fold back inoperable

Started by bonno, December 30, 2017, 05:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonno

Had this annoying problem since I purchased my 156 JTS, involving the fold back functionality of the DS wing mirror being inoperable and mirror housing loose (unable to hold position). The cause is attributed to the securing clip having dislodged from mounting spigot. Finally got around in repairing the unit and have developed a “How to” that may be helpful for other Alfisti.
1.   Firstly disconnect battery, then disassemble wing mirror by simply lifting off the centre post and unscrewing 3 x torx screws from underside of mirror. Refer photo #1
2.   Remove mirror from housing gently with flat bladed screwdriver equally around perimeter and disconnect the brown and black wire refer photo #2.
3.   Remove the 3 x torx screws securing mirror motors wiring loom and plastic housing refer photo # 3.
4.   Disconnect wiring connector and separate from plastic housing.
5.   Remove plastic housing and die cast mount assembly from outer housing by removing 2 x phillips head screws, thus allowing assembly to be worked on bench refer photo # 4
6.   Make up simple tool using 13mm diameter threaded rod, nuts, washers and suitable size sockets to re-assemble spring, retaining clip and spigot refer photos 5
7.   Assemble spigot, spring washer and retaining clip using home made tool refer photo # 6.
8.   Assembled mirror spigot configuration refer photo #7.
9.   Reassemble reverse of disassembly and check mirror operation prior to final attachment.

bonno

Additional photos 5-7 are included here for the how to document above.

Citroënbender

Interesting you got a "second life" out of the securing clip. 

I once made the mistake of buying a used nearside 147 wing mirror out of the UK (£15 plus post, looked fabulous) - the damp air had locked the pivot solid with corrosion.  I was afraid to dismantle as you boldly did, and spent hours wicking WD-40 into it, then ATF, finally when it would move a bit more I could get Nulon PTFE paste into there. 

bonno

HI CB
Yes, I would have been put back, if the star lock /retention clip was damaged, but these are readily available through stockists, refer to attached link on metric sizes available.
http://www.bakfin.com/pdf/metric-starlocks.pdf

Citroënbender

Good hint for the clips there, thanks. It means I can confidently mix-and-match some French car mirrors where the plastic housings are fitted before the star lock is pressed home.