IN TANK PUMP LEAK

Started by sportiva, December 25, 2017, 11:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportiva

I

bonno

Hi Sportiva
Hope you have better success repairing fuel pump leak using JB Weld, as it failed for me recently on my 156 and eventually had to replace the pump.  See attached photo of repair using JB Weld (when magnified you can see the fuel squirting from repaired section).
bonno

Citroënbender

You'll notice the "modular" nature of these items and how the part number on top often has the last sequence of numbers hot-stamped, not moulded. This can often give a clue as to potential donors of the top part only; it may not even be a Fiat stable car but something quite different.

bonno

The repair failed immediately on testing. The area to be repaired was  dried, surface sanded/scored and thoroughly cleaned , prior to application of JB weld. Testing was conducted after curing of JB weld ,ie; 24 Hours after application

Citroënbender

I've used a two part methyl methacrylate based adhesive for (plastic) pressure pipe repairs, it's been stunning.  Dear as poison ($100/100ml) and no idea how it might go on fuel exposure though. 

To play devil's advocate on the "capping" methods - is there any risk of creating an hydraulic lock on the upper side of the pressure reg, resulting in loss of regulation?

bonno

Sportiva
If you don't have any luck in the repair, here is a link to a brand new unit available on e-bay for under $300.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Fuel-Pump-BOSCH-FP9336-fits-Alfa-Romeo-156-2-0-JTS-932-/152736718143?hash=item238fd15d3f
cheers
bonno

Citroënbender

Don't overlook 20% off code "PRO20", I think it expires tonight...

At 5,5 Bar, no bloody wonder they like to spring the odd leak!