GT - V6 Oil Change

Started by Beatle, April 06, 2015, 08:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle

Did oil and filter change today. What an absolute Baars-Taaard of a job!!!!   >:(

I couldn't fit the first type of filter wrench into the space available.  I used the second style, but I had to use a spanner on it as there isn't space to get a ratchet handle onto the end.  It took all my five hands, a big screwdriver to keep the wrench over the filter, and holding my tongue just right...... and it kept skewing off.

What do others use?    I'm thinking a strap wrench may be the go next time as you can wrench from the side, not the end.  Chain or fabric strap wrench?   

Or one of those perfect-fit cap/sockets?  Might get enough clearance to use a 3/8 flex head ratchet handle?  Not sure how they would go if the filter is tight though

Do other GT DIYers loosen off the piping brackets?  I didn't, and managed to force the filter out and back in.  But I can't see any way to do the job without getting oil everywhere?  Cleaned up with a spray of degreaser but consumed 6-months regular usage of my rag stash!

I used a Ryco Z148 filter (I hear howls of protest) and Penrite HPR-10  10W/50, and both are also compatible with my 1997 Landcruiser, which is convenient..... :o   
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Neil Choi

Get one of these.
From SCA, oil filter pliers, $17.  But a Snap On is better.

Beatle

Thanks Neil.  Can you get enough of a swing with it on a V6 though?  I guess as long as you can get enough purchase on the filter this allow one to take small bites at it, plus this style doesn't need top be square on to the filter to be effective.   

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

Alfa156Melb1

My best advice is when you fit a new filter for the first time, make sure you only turn it 3/4 turn with a smear of oil on the seal..

Next time you need to replace it, you should be able to remove it by hand.  That's what i do.  Assuming you've moved the pipes out of the way. Job takes me less than 20 minutes now.

If it's too tight - as mine was when i first serviced it - I used a big screw driver and stabbed it to death.

Kulwinder

First don't need to tight that much. As it has rubber seal to stop oil leak. If still leaks then tight bit more. First time when I had to open filter of my grandeur then I bought this one with strap. Fits to almost any filter. And easy to use in tight spaces. I have used it on few different cars.

Kulwinder Singh

bazzbazz

Should have called me mate, would have told you straight away to use a hammer & punch on the edge of the filter & tap it round to get it started.  (yes, I can hear the face slap from here ;)  )

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Beatle

1.  I considered the screwdriver-on-the-lip technique, but couldn't get a screwdriver on it.   

2.  It's always nice to say don't overtighten the filter, but invariably I nip them up by hand (on a variety of cars) yet still find it difficult to undo them.  Maybe I have a LH threaded arm......

3.  I will never again consider staking a screwdriver through a filter.  On the V6 there is no room to turn a screwdriver anyway, and I did it once on a filter and all it achieved was to cut the back end off the filter as the screwdriver rotated.  The filter was so tight it stayed firmly gripped against the engine, but with the added benefit of lots of jagged bits of tin sticking out!

Next time I reckon I'll loosen pipework first (one pipe runs close to sump plug anyway), then hopefully get the filter loose. Then with the aid of a magnet, keep the filter upright and remove it from the engine bay without spilling a drop of oil.......    Bets anyone? :o
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

colcol

Its been asked before, but has anyone ever considered fitting a remote oil filter?, so that the filter could be located where it could be easy to get at so it would be changed when needed, not when your long service leave has come up.
I am told that some taxi's and 4 wheel drives that have got difficult to get at oil filters have this modification.
The JTS 4 cylinder is quite easy to change once you get all the undertray off, gives you more time to do the oil filter and thermostat at the same time, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Alfa156Melb1

Yeah its possible, some mob in Japan makes one..

I was going to look into it but now i know how to remove without tools, there's no need.

When i first serviced mine, the filter was done up as tight as nun - who ever put it there must have used a wrench to get it on  :-\

So I had to shove a screw driver through there, there is room as long as move the pipes out of the way. It's messy, such is life. I only had to do it once.

When you tighten up, just go slowly by hand until it feels firm, then nip it slightly more. You'll have no trouble at all removing it by hand next time. But get those pipes out of the way.. It's only one nut to remove the bracket holding them on, that's enough for them to shift a bit for access.

Beatle

Hmmmmm, maybe I invest in a pipe bender..........
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd