Vale Mick Ronke

Started by alfagtv58, April 30, 2013, 10:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv58

Mick Ronke, owner/CEO Winton Motor Raceway, passed away.  A sad day for Victorian Australian motorsport.  Mick was passionate about our sport, and its roots.

I only had a small amount of contact with Mick.  He was pivotal in the resurgence of the 6 Hour events in Victoria by his support of AROCA Vic running the event as a regularity relay and opening it up to sprint level licence holders.  I remember him making a special trip to Melbourne to meet with the AROCA committee about the event and he spoke from the heart about the importance of retaining the grass roots level.

Thoughts are with Heather and the family.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

aggie57

My first contact with Mick was in the 80's when we competed in the then Mini Club 6-Hr and I was Competition Secretary for AROCA (Vic).  On more than one occasion he went out of his way to help us, especially when we first took over the 6-Hr in the early 90's. 

I recall once when the building that is now the cafe was new, we used it for driver briefing because it was raining.  After briefing there was a foot mark on the wall.  Mick went off his rocker, to which Ernie (Chimirri) replied "don't worry Mick - I'll paint the bottom and Alister will paint the top".  Ernie was all of 5' and a bit, and I am 6'3" or so.  Mick looked and grunted, smiled and walked away.  Nothing more was said.

Mick could be challenging to work with but at heart he was passionate about Winton and the people associated with it.  I'm personally very sad to hear he has passed on.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

aggie57

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM

Neil Choi

My condolences to the "Winton" family.

The association I have had with Mick has always being supportive.

Neil

Trevor 57

There will be a memorial service at Winton Motor Raceway on Tuesday May 7th at 1.00 pm, it will be held in the Winton Corporate Centre, the actual funeral is a family affair only

Anthony Sharp

Mick could be a hard man to deal with at times, at others he would surprise you with his help, without his support the AROCA 6 hr would never have happened. He always had what he saw as the best interests off the Track, the Club(BAC) and the Sport in his mind, in an age where everyone wants to close our tarcks he walked a line most of us don't want to, we should be greatfull for all his efforts that his effoets have kept winton, and wakefield open to us. I have had both hard and greatful words with Mick over the years, but I have always had the utmost respect for him. To the Ronk's and the BAC family please excepy my deepset condolences, his loss is all our loss.

Anthony Sharp
Members Sec
AROCA Vic

Ross Flood

The Committee and members of AROCA Vic are saddened by the passing of Mick Ronke.
We owe a great debt of gratitude to Mick Ronke for his unwavering support of the club over so many years I can't remenber.
Our thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

Ross Flood
President AROCA Vic

aggie57

Well, along with several hundred others I attended the memorial service for Mick at Winton today.

The service lasted 2 hours with many people speaking at length and with great affection of his life, his achievements, and the legacy he has left.  He was and is still held in high regard by people not just within Motorsport but in the broader north east Victorian community.

Enough said.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 

Trevor 57

I was there as well, I almost cheered that retired policeman/councillor