Solution for "ringing" sound under bonnet.

Started by shane wescott, April 28, 2013, 05:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane wescott

Hi Guys

In the hope of saving someone else a heart attack ( like I almost had today) I will share a GTV6 story.

For a while before the Beast went off the road with a spraying (note not leaking) fuel injection pipe, I would occasionally hear a ringing, pinging sound under heavy acceleration, or sometimes at low idle.

Now I originally though maybe a bit of fuel/tune pinging, but the idle one had me foxed. It was one of those sounds that didn't really sound drastic, and was on a list to do one day.

So the car went off the road at Xmas time when I noticed fuel spraying the neighbours kids when I had the bonnet up :-( a new pipe and kit was ordered from my Mate Greg in the US eventually and also eventually I had the time to fit the new pipe.

Fitted the pipe, checked the oil and coolant, visual inspection, eviction of a few 8 legged residents, battery charged and the Beast was ready to run for the first time in 4 months.

Can of "Start Ya Bastard" in hand ( I'm sure the inventor owned an Alfa), gave a few small spins over just to circulate oil, and then roar - of she went -not Start Ya Bastard required :-)

I then noticed that damn ringing pinging sound at rough idle.

The closer my head came the engine to isolate the sound, the more I could feel money leaving my wallet :-(

It was certainly near the front, was a low engine speed sound, and sounded like a mini Quasimodo hammering the inside of the water pump :-(

I moved around to the passenger side and then I saw the cause - one of my disconnected air con pipes, the type with a metal valve cover on it, was so loose, when the engine was wobbling at a low idle, was banging into the alternator fan :-)

So a tighten of some tie straps and happy days -not only was the Beast running beautifully I fixed the ugly sound without any money leaving my wallet :-)

I rushed inside to tell the Wife the good news but curiously she wasn't as excited as I was :-)

So the message, if you still have the aircon pipes on give them a look and make sure the metal bits can't hit the alternator fan.

Catch ya

Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL