Head work...

Started by martym00se72, March 27, 2013, 10:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martym00se72

Ok, so I posed the question about where to take the heads of my 164 engine to be checked out and cleaned up in my thread on the 116 topic and I got a reply from Tim - but nothing else.

Has anyone else had any head work done around Adelaide? Places to go/places to avoid? Likely costs?

Whilst at it - should I get the heads shaved to bump comp ratio? - how much if yes? I guess there is not a lot of room to play with...
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

Neil Choi

Peter Axford at Eurosport would be a person to speak to.

Many cars associated with him are fantastic and well prepared.

He knows his stuff.

Great club member too.

Storm_X

Once you do get it done I would like to know how good the work was and how much it costed ?
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

martym00se72

Hi Neil,
In my engine build thread Tim actually followed the advice of Peter and felt a bit ripped off by the workshop that Peter directed him to. I did a little research and found there are about 3 workshops in the Bowden area that do this kind of work so I might visit them all to see first hand but was hoping that others might share their experiences good and bad so we can all learn...

Storm - will post results!

Cheers
Marty

scott.venables

Marty, do you have JimK's V6 performance manual? Compression ratio is covered in some detail.  It's well worth buying

Cheers, Scott

ARQ164 Shane

Hi all I am also looking to get my v6 heads know worked but to flow a little better .
Does START do this kind of work .
"Has anyone else had any head work done around Adelaide? "So has no one had this work before?

cheers
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

martym00se72

Give lloyd a call and find out, but when I have been in his workshop it didn't look like he had it setup for doing that line of work. the place I went to on Port rd do seem to have done a reasonable job and the clearances were all set to spec without me having to tell them what they are supposed to be.

I also found that Advanced Engine Reconditioners in salisbury do full engine rebuilds and can do your heads - I got my flywheel lightened theer and they did a good job as far as I can tell.

Storm_X

Ask Lloyd he can basically do anything . He doesn't have the machine tools but he most probaly disassembles sends it away and reassembles
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"