Alfa 90 - Jammed Park Brake

Started by Beatle, December 18, 2012, 11:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle

I've dusted off the Ninety and decided to drive it more regularly.  Today I had the hand brake stick on!  First time ever in any transaxle car I've owned.

I got the brakes to releaseby working the handle, and they didn't jam again.  I've just finished applying Inox spray to all the exposed links and cable, and soaked the arms at the calipers.

Is a sticky handbrake likely to be a problem with the linkages at the brake calipers, or internal to the calipers? 

As an aside, surely the 164 technical threads sit better with the 156 grouping, and the 75/90 with the Alfettas?  Underneath, my 90 looks much more like the Alfettas than the 164 I've owned................
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

dehne

I believe it sticks at the calipers, the two lugs where the cable goes through, my 90 sticks to when not used but after some usage it's fine it's only on the rear occasion that I have to get under the car crack it
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Sheldon McIntosh

More than likely it's just the arms sticking, but I try to avoid having the handbrake on for more than a week 10 minutes.

If it happens again, then yes, it's a caliper rebuild.  I find that I only need to do a rebuild if the adjusters leak when I'm trying to adjust the clearance.  They're awesome those inboard brakes, I love them to bits.   #$@#!!##$% things.

Two Dogs

Beetle

I had a similar thing happen on my Alfetta, ended up being binding pistons. Make sure you keep a wary eye on it as my pistons occasionally got stuck while in contact with the rotors, causing noticeable drag.

Ended up getting them pulled out and fixed up. If Alfetta calipers are the same I have a pair you can use for re-build.

PM me if interested

Thommo