932 Series in Competiition encouragement

Started by bix, December 13, 2012, 10:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bix

Guys and Gals,
2013 is the year to vacuum the cobwebs off all 932 series side mirrors, have a quiet moment to yourself to accept that the once $60k car is now worth -um- much less, don the fireproof underpants, pull out the back seats and come and join Neil and friends for a sensational year of AROCA Victoria sprints!

Of course 2013 is to be just the beginning, with a 932 Sprint Series Cup currently being planned for 2014. More details to come asap. In the meantime, we hope to see you trackside - PM me if you have any questions!

Paul Gulliver

Quotewith a 932 Sprint Series Cup currently being planned for 2014

Bix, your a man of mystery as usual. Are you allowed to say any more on this
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Neil Choi

Something like this, that is what we envisage.

or

alfagtv58

932 series, I like it.  Bix, hope I'm not stealing any thunder here....but....

The Veloce Racing Association has just had a bit of a pow wow in regards to 'modern' cars.  The aim is to allow a well constructed and driven "modern car" to be competitive with other cars currently running in the category at an affordable cost.  Below is a copy from the VRA mailing list, if you are building a car for Sprint requirements, you may want to keep this in mind if you think you would like to have the occasional lash at circuit racing without any sheep stations on the line.

Racers,

Thanks to all of those that came along to the special "Modern Cars" meeting last week at Dooley's. And great to see a few fresh faces there too!

The following is a summation of what was discussed in terms of regulations. I'd like this to rest a little while on our minds and we can discuss again at the AGM. After that we will need to finalise a recommendation because I understand there may be a few in the works, which will be great.

I was generally agreed that the logbook recommendation should be a superset of what we allow in VRA so the car can be legal for the logbook category even though it may not be modified to the full extent allowable for the logbook category.

The aim is to allow a well constructed and driven "modern car" to be competitive with other cars currently running in the category at an affordable cost. As usual, if we feel the objective has not been met we can make further changes if absolutely necessary.

.       We recommend the cars be logged as CAMS 3J – Improved Production or if AASA logged, comply to CAMS 3J

.       Engines are to remain standard including the throttle body save that ECU's may be re-mapped

.       Exhaust is free

.       Wheel and tyre combination shall be the standard size for the model. (Not optional or dress pack sizes but what the standard factory model with the same engine wore)

.       Tyres used must be on the current CAMS Production Car Tyre List

.       Minimum weight shall be per 3J limits (by engine capacity)

.       Cars may be lightened in accord with 3J regulations down to the minimum weight allowed

.       No aerodynamic aids are allowed except factory dress pack items

.       Suspension pick-up points may not be moved but springs/shocks and camber are free

.       Brakes may be changed but must be a production type available from the factory on the model and must fit under the standard size wheels

.       147GTA and 156GTA are regarded as a separate 'model' from the 147 and 156. A non GTA 147 or 156 may not be modified to become a GTA of the same model.

Regds

Bill

VRA Pres.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

aggie57

So we buy a cheap GTV V6 and go racing?  Sounds like fun even if the wrong wheels are doing the driving.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

bix

Thanks guys. In the first instance, the AROCA Vic club would like to invite and encourage everyone to participate in these excellent run sprint events. We would also like to see more of the newer cars on the track and with currently no less than 130 type 932 series for sale on carsales.com starting at around $3000, it is a great entry point.
The 932 series in particular (eg. 147, 156, GTV etc) has been a very successful formula around tracks in continental europe, and I personally think it is time we give it a red-hot go!
The club committee are still in secret squirrel discussions, but in principal want a cheap entry point to sprints which is fun and accessible for all, and aligned to the veloce racing formula.

aggie57

Reckon your starting point has to be: is it a modern Alfa?  Does it meet the sprint safety standards?    If yes to both, then go for it.

Veloce Racing looks good for those who want that but for heavens sake don't put their rules up as a barrier for people wanting to have some fun.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Neil Choi

Any 156/147/GTV/Spider will be eligible, 4's or 6's or GTA.  Diesel will be eligible.

If competing in AROCA Vic sprints, you conform to the Vic competition rules, so either Standard, Modified or Racing.

As Phil, Bill, Paul and I will advise, if you are building a modern Alfa for competition, you can either build it to AROCA Vic regulations which is fine for sprinting.  If you want to eventually do VRA racing, then we would recommend you build to VRA regulations (currently being worked over).  VRA regulations will essentially be a modified Alfa in AROCA Vic regulations. 

Building to VRA regulations allow for sprinting and racing in both categories, without the need to retro-fit or de-modify, as it cost money and time to do so, we want to keep cost low.

In the end you will build what you like but it should fit into the category you are competing in. 

But the message from Phil, Bill, Paul and myself is to encourage the next generation of racing Alfa's to enter our competition, both modern Alfa's and young talented drivers.  Cars are cheap enough affordable and lots of talent out there in the club as far as I can see.  Come you young folks.

So lets see some of these modern Alfa's out there during 2013 for testing and out in force in 2014 and give those 30-40 year old 105's and Alfetta's etc some track spanking.

You can consult either of these folks if you are considering, for advice etc.

Regards
Neil

Neil Choi

Yes, of course there will be the argument/discussion of what is a modern Alfa.

I would think modern Alfa being classified as those brought in by ATECO from 1998, ie 156/147/GTV/Spider.  But lets say 932 series.

Martinsifredi

This sounds very exiting guys , as Paul and my self are currently building a race spec . 156 . very similar to the 156 Superturismo cars run in Italy .

If there is any interest in 147-156 and GTV 932 series race preparation please feel free to contact me , this is the other half of my business .

Cheers guys ,

see you at Winton

MartinSifredi
Classic and Modern
Concours Automobile Presentation
Ph 0425 735 814