Hello everyone

Started by poohbah, November 28, 2012, 09:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

i just wanted to introduce myself and say hello having only recently become a member of the Alfa Romeo sect ... er family.

Four months ago, I purchased my first Alfa - a 2002 156 2.5L V6 manual. Notwithstanding the several trips to the workshop since, I still can't get the smile off my face.

While I waited til my 40s to buy my first Alfa, I've wanted one ever since about 1981 when the family GP bought a GTV6 - (from memory it was crayon blue or purple). Damn it looked cool.

But while I've had a few local "classics" over the years (among my various rides I've had a couple of Valiants, including a VG Safari with extractors, a restored '59 FC wagon, and Cooper spec Mini) I've spent the last few years in motoring oblivion driving a small 4cyl Toyota due to my need for an economical and trusty way to get to work each day. Very reliable but hardly inspiring.

Anyway, as I no longer rely on my car to travel to work every day, I thought it was time to scratch my itch and dive in. I've attached a pic of my pride and joy. I can't imagine owning any other marque from now on - though a Mazzer might be nice if my numbers come up one day.

So hello to all fellow believers. I've already found the forum to be very useful in navigating the mechanical mystery tour that is Alfa ownership and maintenance, and I look forward to engaging in discussion with you in future.

Cheers
Poohbah

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

colcol

Hello poohbah, i have a 2002 156 JTS manual, look at it, drive it, its hard sometimes to wipe the stupid smile off your face, its a hopeless disease, welcome to the forum!, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

poohbah

Cheers Colin. I've found myself looking for any excuse to drive anywhere, anytime. But maybe the best thing is that my teenage son (who is in that single syllable response phase of teendom) actually asks if we can go on long drives in it on weekends so he can open the window plug in his iPod and just cruise. He's already asked if he can have it when he gets his licence in a few years.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

colcol

Its great to get kids interested in cars from an early age, teach them that some cars can be fun and interesting, stop them doing burnouts and bad stuff when they get their licence, when he gets his 'L' plates, take him on a club run, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]