Kevlar engine trays

Started by Stuart Thomson, January 02, 2008, 12:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Thomson

Hi All,

I'm currently trying to get some under engine trays for a 156GTA made from Kevlar. I bought a next to new one from eBay to replace the disintegrating one on my car, then thought why not copy it into something stronger. The fitment points (bolt holes) are the same for all 156's, but the GTA has an air scoop moulded into the tray to aid cooling.  I think the TS and JTS versions are flat, the V6 version may be very similar to the GTA.

I have sent it off to a place for a quote, and as a one-off it's not feasible, cost is in excess of $1k, but much of this is for the mould. I reckon if I make ten of them then I can recoup the cost of the mould by adding a little extra, but that'll only work if I can sell nine of them.

So I need to gauge the interest.

A word of warning though, Kevlar is NOT carbon fibre, it generally turns out yellow, it is significantly stronger than CF, infact the underside of your engine would be bullet proof 

Price would be about $500 - $550, and I won't be making a cent.

If you really want the CF look we can add a final layer of very thin CF over the Kevlar, it won't add to the strength, but it'll look more bling.

Also remember to add shipping if you don't live in Melbourne, Australia. Probably in the region of $100 for interstate, who knows what for international.

Let me know in replies to this thread.

Cheers
Stuart

Fast Eddie

I'd be in for one and i reckon you should also offer via the various Alfa workshops as replacements are not cheap or common as it is.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.