Camber problems. 2002 V6 Spider

Started by John Wade, December 03, 2012, 02:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Wade

Hello,

I have excessive camber on both rear wheels. Also the camber is significantly different on each side. My mechanic is suggesting new rear springs as there is no way to adjust camber on this Spider model. Can anyone help as springs appear to be unavailable in Australia.

Regards

John

MD

If the springs are the issues try:

http://www.eibach.com.au/

or

http://www.kingsprings.com.au/

Failing that take the car to :

Accurate Supension, Unit2/9 Timms Court, Woodridge. Tel 3808 2878 and ask for Ken Graham. If he cant fix it I would be surprised.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

colcol

I think from a previous post by someone, that Spiders do have adjustable camber on the back wheels, check the bushes in the suspension links, as when they wear out the camber goes out, it seems the bushes are not replaced, but a new link is put in, as like the front wishbones, it is not worth the time and effort to replace the bushes, just buy a new link, also if your springs have sagged, then you will have too much negative camber, that is the top of the tyre will tilt inwards towards the centre of the car at the top, and the bottom of the tyre will tilt away from the car, instead of being sqaure to the road, the worn bushes and springs will cause your toe in - toe out to go out of specifications, which will cause excessive tyre wear, if you don't follow what i am talking about, [and who does], look on youtube Mark Larkham describes toe and camber, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig C

I have a similar issue which I haven't got around to sorting out just yet although tyre wear doen't appear to be a big problem at this stage.  Just that the tyre service couldn't get the rear wheel alignment correct because of suspension wear. 

It appears that most of the aftermarket springs are aimed at lowering the vehicle rather than replacing like for like.

One option is to have them specially manufactured which doen't seem to be too big a deal.

For example http://www.lovellsauto.com.au/ will make them up.

I also remember that even from new there is a slight camber in due to the design set up.  I have measured the tolerances and will see if I can find my sketch.

Keep us informed of how you go.
2003 Spider
1984 GTV 2.0

colcol

Maybe the Spiders have adjustable toe on the back suspension and not camber like i stated, but adjust the toe setting, and it will effect camber as well, i have found that toe chops out tyres more than camber will, within reason, in the old days you could get your standard springs reconditioned, they would heat them up and stretch them back to the length of what they were like new, don't know if any spring makers do that anymore, easier to get lowered springs than raised springs or standard springs, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

MD

John, do you know how much unwanted camber you actually have?

Col. Kings springs will make any size spring you want -new.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0