Racing at Lakeside, Sunday

Started by hammer, November 06, 2012, 10:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

Motor racing fans should head along to Lakeside Raceway this Sunday (Nov 11) for the final racing round of the 2012 Alfa comp. Six Alfas will be on track, as part of the QR Sports & Sedans category.

If the 2012 Lakeside times of these drivers are anything to go by, the racing should be unbelievably close. Check this out: Ken Percival 65.5 seconds, Rob Robson 64.85, Andrew Wilson 64.28 (& he now has a new, more powerful engine and will go considerably faster), Mark Jackson 63.41, Brent Hampstead 63.26, Joel O'Farrell 63.24.

$10 spectator entry, racing from 9am. Come and fly the flag. See you there.

hammer

Good news for Alfa race fans: experienced AROCA circuit racing and targa driver Colin Wenzel has joined the pack for this Sunday's final Alfa Comp racing round at Lakeside. Col's 2012 Lakeside PB is 65.52 so it should be a real dog fight between Col, KP and Rob Robson. Worth the $10 entry fee just to see those three battle all day.

Gates open 7am, racing from 9.30am, entry $10 per adult (kids under 13 free).

Cheers,

Brent

MD

Rocked up for the day to see the lads do battle. There was a possibility of a wet track and luckily the rain stayed away but not entirely dry, the track did have a couple of small wet areas. Unfortunately Jacko scored a wet spot out of the blue and went farming. It didn't end there. He wound up having an argument with the tyre wall and came off second best almost all round-literally. Panel damage to front and both sides. Then to make things worse, the misfire gremlins kicked in just to rub salt into the wounds as the car was still drivable but in the end he had a DNF. Really sad to see that mate. Brent in the Julie generally had a good run but was tempting fate a few times with a bit farming here and there- mostly as a result of trying too hard. Andrew had a relatively good run with the new donk in his 105 but also managed to get a touch up in the lhs rear lower panel. Ken in his legendary 105 just kept on keeping on and ignoring the vibration  :) I am told. I am not entirely certain but I think Colin's Alfetta GT developed smokers cough. About the only guy that came out of the event unscathed is Joel in his classic navy blue Alfetta GT that just went like a scalded cat all day.

Other bits of excitement included an MX5 having an argument with the wall coming onto the straight. The wall won. I believe one of the Hyundai Excels had an end-over-end body changing experience.

So a day filled with some speed, Alfa euphoria and some bashem-crashem darby style episodes. What a hoot. As for me, I am going to QR on Thursday with the Cab and see if I can pick up a few fares with a couple of hot brunettes.. ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0