New Giulietta Servicing

Started by DP1234321, February 10, 2013, 12:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DP1234321

Can someone advise about servicing a new Giulietta in Australia.  The standard Euro service book indicates every 30K, however the local supplement indicates a change of oil and filer at 15k intervals.  When I picked up my car the dealership asked me to bring it in for a change to oil and filer at 3k.  Is this really necessary of are they just trying to claw back some margin lost during the negotiation process.  I want to do the right thing by my beautiful new car but don't want to waste money if not necessary.  I think if I went to any other Alfa dealership they would also agree on the 3k service.
83 Giulietta (1st Alfa), 2012 Giulietta (current)

colcol

The 3,000k oil and filter change is a good thing, as it is a new engine, all the crap and rubbish from the manufacturing process will be removed, all the sharp edges of metal will be smoothed out, and sitting in the oil filter, the 30,000k is highly optimistic, i would be looking at 10,000 or every 6 months, for a oil and filter change, as oil doesn't wear out, it just becomes full of suspended pieces of rubbish and acid, you want oil lubricating your engine, not contaminants, in the olden days you would use a running in oil that was thin for good heat transfer and cooling and would create a bit of friction to help the bedding in process, the first 1,000k is the most critical of an engines life, you would dump the running in oil and filter at 1,000k, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

DP1234321

Many thanks for you advice Colin.  Based on that I think we'll go ahead with the service.  Regards, David
83 Giulietta (1st Alfa), 2012 Giulietta (current)