Vale Greg Quinn

Started by Ross Flood, October 16, 2012, 01:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Flood

It is with sadness that I must pass on the news of the death of a former AROCA Vic long time member.

Greg lost his 22 month battle with a cancerous brain tumour on Sunday evening.

Greg was a member for nearly 20 years and had taken part in all the activities of the club in that time. He had not been a member for the last 10 or so years. Older members might recall that Greg built a 1750 GTam replica which he ran many times in club sprints.
The club extends its condolences to his wife Juliana and family.
Please use this thread to post your memories of Greg, post a picture if you have one, and celebrate his time with us.

Ross Flood
Vice President AROCA Vic.

Neil Choi

Oh so very sad.  Great friend.  Fellow Alfisti and Alfa cyclist. 

My condolences. 

Much sadness.

Neil

aggie57

Greg was affectionately known to many of us as "The Phantom", a name that we all used but I for one have long since forgotten why.  As Ross says many of us spent many evenings and weekends with Greg at a wide range of club and other activities. 

A solicitor by training, in later years he was involved in the motor trade and l well remember walking into a Mercedes dealer in South Melbourne, being surprised at seeing Greg sitting at his new desk and asking him how many cars had he sold in this new job.  To which he replied none, which we quickly addressed.

Sad to see you go so early Greg and thoughts to Juliana and the family.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

164Queue

Greg's "Phantom" nickname - perpetuated by Bruce Rodgers - came from an anonymous letter that was published in the Cross & Serpent back in the mid-80s. I've forgotten the subject, but it caused a bit of a stir and Greg was revealed sometime later to have been the author.

Prior to working for a Mercedes dealer, Greg also worked for the then Alfa City, from whom I purchased a used 164Q. In typical form for a mate, Greg waived his commission on the car (or perhaps they couldn't shift it and were glad to get rid of it...?). There are quite a few Alfas out there with Greg's name on the sale paperwork.

Greg served on Committee in the Public Relations position, in about 1997 (?). He was a founding member of the "Alfisti Ciclisti", a notorious bunch of road cyclists wearing bright red Alfa team jerseys as we terrorised the roads early every Sunday morning.

He and I were skilful (lucky?) enough to win an "Alley Rally" one club night in the late 90s, with me driving the 164 and Greg navigating. I still have the original WEG cartoon that was drawn specially for the event.

Greg joined AROCA about the same time I did, in early 1985, and like me let his membership lapse about 10 years back when he parted company with Alfas in search of new toys. But I know he always fondly remembered his Alfas and his Alfa club days.

A good friend to the end, he will be much missed.
Now:
1991 Alfa 164Q
1974 Jensen-Healey
Past:
1979 Alfetta GTV
1966 Giulia Super
1992 164Q

Victor Lee

Some of the long time members may remember the video that Dino Kalivas & Greg Wade and other Club Members put together back in 1989/90, depicting a year of the Club.

One of the segments shows interviewer Greg Quinn at an AROCA day at the Phillip Island Circuit.  I have extracted the Greg-specific parts and compiled them into the following youtube video

This is the way I will remember Greg: talking the talk and driving his Alfa.

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Greg Wade

Many great memories of our time spent at Victor's factory (and many other locations) of our other Alfa Club, the radio controlled cars.
We'd all gather around to see what was new, modified or outright wacky that appeared in Greg's bag of tricks. Good times and great memories. Will be sadly missed.

aggie57

Quote from: Victor Lee on October 17, 2012, 10:57:44 AM
Some of the long time members may remember the video that Dino Kalivas & Greg Wade and other Club Members put together back in 1989/90, depicting a year of the Club.

One of the segments shows interviewer Greg Quinn at an AROCA day at the Phillip Island Circuit.  I have extracted the Greg-specific parts and compiled them into the following youtube video

This is the way I will remember Greg: talking the talk and driving his Alfa.

Great post Vic. Lots of fantastic memories and people who are an integral part of our clubs history. Greg was a good talker wasn't he  :)
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

gonetothedarkside

Greg Q, he was always good company, an interesting person and he enjoyed the 'odd" chat. Many good memories and Victors post takes us down memory lane.

Life is short , make it what you can, and enjoy those few genuine friendships.

Dino