Flywheel locking tool

Started by mn1, September 29, 2012, 12:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mn1

Anyone know where I could get an original flywheel locking tool (or facsimile) for a 2.0l NORD? Not really interested in universal tools unless you know of any that you have tested (and work) without removing the engine.

Tks

Mike

colcol

Try Totally Alfa, EB Spares or The Alfa Workshop in the UK, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

mn1

Tried the usual suspects in UK and US but not come across alfaw/shop..have sent them an email.

Tks

colcol

Totally Alfa makes all the tools himself, not a reseller, made me some camlocks and flywheel lock for 156 JTS, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Just had a look, at Totally Alfa, has flywheel locks for 4 cylinder twin cams for about 12 quid, also flywheel locks for V-6's and V-8's, he is a former Aircraft Engineer who owned an Alfa, and decided to make his own tools, Colin.

mn1

Both are listed for use with gearbox and engine split (had already checked). I want to use it with eng and g/box in car. As I've not seen the A.2.0261 which is what I need, I have emailed TA to double check their notation is correct about use.
I wasn't clear on this posting about wanting to lock with both eng and g/box in situ. Sorry for confusion.

PS.
It's been a bugger All the usual methods have failed and there is too much squish using transmission to hold it, plus I figure torquing it up will be a bit more accurate if held properly. Fortunately not urgent.

aggie57

Mike - when you say Nord do you mean 116 or 105 series and what are you trying to undo that needs the crank locked?
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

colcol

I needed to lock the engine up on the 156 JTS, to undo and do up the crankshaft nut, and had to lock up engine, with engine in car, removed the flywheel inspection plate, and inserted a big flat bladed screwdriver into the ring gear and casing, to stop engine rotating, worked a treat, after not wanting to push my luck next time, i ordered a flywheel locking tool for a 156 from Totally Alfa, received it, will work good, but not much better than MONGRELLING in a screwdriver, Colin.

jg1053

I've got a number of their tools, they are excellent.
Jim

AikenDrum105

If it's the crankshaft pulley nut you can use heat to loosen them - but you'll need to replace the front timing cover seal afterwards - melts.

The pulley nuts are readily available -  If I come across a really tight one I'll cross drill them to weaken them first.   

They are one of the highest torqued nuts on the car too.  60ft lbs or something like that.    There's usually a lock washer behind it with a fold down tang that's easy to miss.

you can also put a breaker bar / socket extension / large screwdriver through the giubo at the back of the gearbox - it will lever against the floor of the car - protect it with some wood etc - and support the box underneath with a jack to stop it flexing down on it's mount away from the floor. 

Obviously this might strain the giubo a bit....     

Heat / Rattle gun / cross drilling usually gets em :)

Of course, you could be talking about something else completely ....
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

ALFAAA

On my V6 I used my 3/4 impact gun, ;D
at the time it was impossible to undo with a bar or a 1/2 gun.
Current :2004 916 V6 3.2 Spider (baby)
             :Alfetta GTV6 1984 3.2 24v
             :2024 Tonale Veloce SUV

Past       :Alfetta GTV  1977
             :147 Selespeed 2002

colcol

You can buy a crankshaft nut loosener, it is a 1/2 inch drive, with a long bar going to it, with a head on it, that you hit with a mallet that 'shocks' it loose, i have seen these in a Repco catalogue and they are about $150, have you tried 'freeze spray'?, i didn't think much of them, just another gimmick, i took the part i was trying to loosen off to an engineering place, to see if they had replacments, for when i butchered it off, and the counter guy said he would give it a go with freeze spray, go right ahead i laughed, and he did...... and off came the stuck fastener, Colin.

colcol

Regarding crankshaft pulley nut removal, SP Tools make a crankshaft nut removal tool, it generates 600 lbs of force, it looks like you tap the head with a mallet and it shocks it loose, SP Tools part no SP70865, $149, Colin.

Tornado20

Hi Folks,

Resurrecting an old thread !

Does anybody know where I can purchase a flywheel lock OEM part number 1.860.898.000 for my 2004 2.0 JTS ? It's the final tool required before I start a cambelt change but it's proving to be the most difficult to source. Forgot to mention, the suppliers listed on the previous posts no longer seem to stock the lock