Does anyone have a spare ECU???

Started by GrizzlyAdams, November 06, 2012, 10:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyAdams

Hey guys,

I'm after an ECU for my 16v 33. The car has been sitting for almost 3 years now and I'm pretty keen to get it running again. So I'm after the standard Bosch Motronic ECU, if you've got 1 you'd like to sell please get in touch.

Cheers

festy

Is yours broken, or missing?
If you have one but it doesn't work, I might be able to help out - or at least diagnose the fault.

FYI, the ECU you're looking for is a 0.261.200.142 and seems to be unique to the 33 1.7 :(
There were two ECUs used in the 1.7 ie 8V though - the '142 and the other was 0.261.200.658.
The chip that the '658 ran appears to be the same as the 8v chip used in the '142 ECU, so I'd expect that the '658 ECU would be compatible with your 16V (with an appropriate chip change).

If you end up having to use an ECU from an 8V 33, I can post you a correct factory 16V chip.

If you can't track down anything at all in oz, get in touch with Jim K - he mentioned to me this morning that 33 EFI parts are common enough over his side of the world so he might be able to help you source one.

GrizzlyAdams

Thanks for the info festy.

I have an ECU but it's dead, there must have been a grommet missing where the ignition harness passes through the firewall, shorted out and fried lots of wiring and the ECU. Mine is a 0 261 200 147, it seems there are quite a few in the UK but they're all the 142 so I wasn't sure if it'd work or not. I've posted on the Alfa Owner forum too and think I may found someone that's got a few of them, but if you know of 1 in Aus please let me know.

festy

I didn't have the 0.261.200.147 ECU listed in my database - it's rather rare because it was only used in the unleaded version of the 33 1.7 QV and Q4 from 91-93 from what I can find.
I assume most markets got the non-cat-equipped model with the '142 ECU.

The '142 ECU will work in your car (and make up to 5hp extra due to mapping differences) but I doubt it has the O2 sensor circuitry so won't run closed loop, which wouldn't make your catalytic converter very happy.
If you don't have a cat fitted, then yes the '142 ECU should be fine.

I can take a look at your broken ECU if you wanted to post it to me, they're pretty simple as far as ECUs go and depending on what's damaged there's a reasonable chance I could repair it.

GrizzlyAdams

Quote from: festy on November 09, 2012, 12:36:27 PM
I can take a look at your broken ECU if you wanted to post it to me, they're pretty simple as far as ECUs go and depending on what's damaged there's a reasonable chance I could repair it.

Hey Festy,

How much do you charge to test/repair ECU's? If it's not to much I'd much rather go this route.

festy

No charge - this is a hobby for me and not a business so was offering to help you out... providing you cover the postage here and back so I'm not out of pocket.

GrizzlyAdams

Sweet! PM me your address and I'll get it in the post in the next couple of days.

GrizzlyAdams

It's in the post Festy. Should be there tomorrow or Wednesday.

festy

Pretty sure it's fixed, it now boots and identifies itself to a diagnostic tester correctly.
I can't test it in a car, but there's no fault codes logged on power-up, and the analogue sensor readings are all good.
Whereas before, it wouldn't even boot up :o
Before I send it back, would you like the rev limiter raised, idle speed changed or anything quick and easy like that?

GrizzlyAdams

Mate, next time you're in Hobart let me know because I want to buy you a beer or 5.

If it's not to much work could you bump the rev limit up to 7500?

Let me know how much postage is and your bank details and I'll fix you up.

Thank you so much.

Grizzly 

festy

These ECUs have a two stage rev limiter - there's the "soft" limiter that you can exceed for up to 1.5 seconds before it kicks in, and there's the "hard" limiter which like is a brick wall - i.e. as soon as you exceed that, your fuel is cut until rpm drops.
The factory limits for the 33 1.7 are 6750 (soft) and 6975 (hard).
I've increased these to 7400 and 7580 for you.

I'll get it in the post tomorrow.