105 Stepnose license plates

Started by pancho, September 14, 2012, 09:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancho

Ok, so I'm a little OCD and at the trivial end of planning now with license plates (they need holes drilled into the body to mount them) - I need some pics of aussie stepnose's from the back with a number plate. Reason being is that the gap between the taillights on the stepnose is of course set but the kicker is the addition of the Veloce badge.  ;D

The normal plates are 372mm wide and the slimline are 315mm. I know the slimline will be fine for the front of the car but it's the back that is doing my head in without a visual of the finished product.

On one hand the larger plate is better because it's taller, BUT it's also 70mm wider and might impede the Veloce badge spaces - i.e. make the rear look too cramped. The slimline is the right width but looks bad when mounted low - a good example of this is the red GTV on car sales now. The plate looks like it's slipping off the car. There also seems to be varied mounting holes for the plates and I'd need to see about how to mount the plate to the body so that the mounts cannot be seen.

Like I said - OCD but I have to get the holes drilled - so it's a challenge I have to tackle soon.

Anybody got rear end pics of aussie plated GTV stepnoses with slim and normal plates ?

DaveT

I've been wondering about this as well. Mine has a massive mounting plate that held the lovely old original SA plates, so I'll either have to mount the club plates to this backing plate or remove the backing plate weld up the holes and drill some new holes or somehow bracket the plate to the bumper. Sorry Patrick, none of this probably helps you ...but at least it makes me think that one day Bertie will be on the road again.

Have you got any more piccies to show us of progress on your shell?

Dave

DaveT & Bertie - 67 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

Previous belligerent Italians:
92 Alfa 164
72 BS Fiat Spider
69 Fiat 124 AC Coupe
70 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

Davidm1600

Pretty much every example of a stepnose that I have seen, in person and on the web has the same setup as per DaveT's car.   It seems to be the same set up for 105 coupes, and Giulia sedans.

On my 1750, as shown, I have slimer plates, but that is what we have down here in Tas.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

pancho

Thanks David's.

After speaking to a trustworthy and sensible person I've ordered the plates - I couldnt be arsed waiting any longer.

Having that italian square plate hiding behind the aussie plate may be nice for car shows or similar as it looks period correct with an italian plate but for everyday driving it's not for me.

No further updates, still collecting bits and restoring as I go at home/storage but the car's laid up now on the spit until some other things happen.

cjheath

Quote from: pancho on September 17, 2012, 01:59:39 PM
Having that italian square plate hiding behind the aussie plate may be nice for car shows or similar as it looks period correct with an italian plate but for everyday driving it's not for me.

I was in exactly the same position, and I don't know why I left that ugly thing in place with a normal (period) white-on-black Vic number plate for so long. Terrible, please do put it on a high shelf until you part with the car.

My rear panel has two 2L-style welded bolts on holes, and I bent a 3cm wide strip of 2.4mm aluminium into about a 20-degree vee channel. One face of the vee bolts against the car with sponge mounting tape (one sticky side neutralised by sticking a piece of something over it) and the other face holds two nut/bolt/spring washer sets to fasten the plate.

No other attachment is needed - the top of the plate floats in the air and the appearance has almost zero impact after the vee-strip has been sprayed black. My only regret is I didn't do it years earlier.

LeisureSuitLarry

I've searched far and wide, and have come across this thread relating to rear number plate mounting.

What has everyone been doing? I'm hoping for a creative way to mount a standard rear VIC number plate to the existing vehicle mount points.

Hoping for it to be as less obtrusive as possible. I have an early stainless number plate mount with the curved back that I can mount to, but again curious to see how others have done it without drilling unnecessary holes. Prefer not to use that if I don't have to.