33 1.7 hard to start when hot

Started by omgShane, August 23, 2012, 03:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omgShane

Hey guys, im slowly getting all the little things done on my 33 (love it to bits)

I have come across a problem that is a bit wierd, if you try and restart the motor after its been sitting for a little while warmed up it will be very hard to restart, usually requiring a few pumps of the accellerator to get her going, starts fine cold and the starter motor cranks over just fine (saw your other post col)

I have looked a bit into it and it seems to be vapour lock, but im wondering if theres a specific cause for it and if theres anything that can be done about it

colcol

Vapour lock only occurs in stinking hot weather, the carbs get so hot that the fuel turns from liquid to gas, and won't start, i am assuming yours is carby, not EFI, when hot, try pumping the accelerator ONCE and when starting keep your pedal on the floor untill it kicks, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

omgShane

yeah mate, is twin carb.. oh well, at least i know its not something to look at terribly hard, thanks col

colcol

When its hot, the fuel vapourises, and there is no petrol, so give it a good pump on the pedal, so that the accelerator pumps, 4 in total, pump some petrol in the carbs, then foot flat to the floor to get some air in, i put an extra spacer under each carb, to add a bit more insulation between the hot motor and the carbs to stop the fuel boiling off, helps a bit, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]