147 ride and handling

Started by frangutz, August 19, 2012, 11:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frangutz

Hi

Following on from my last post i had a chance to drive a 2008 JTD 5 door. I was impressed with the engine as there was so much torque. I really like the diesel variant... wish the twin spark had as much grunt.

One thing i felt was the car felt soft in the suspension. I am used to driving a peugeot with very firm suspension. Question then is the car in either Ti or Monza spec also as soft? I understand the Ti is lowered slightly. Does that translate into a more firm ride?

Thanks.

-F.
AROCA - SA Member
Former 156 V6 Owner.... now 147 Monza

colcol

The TI springs are lower and a bit stiffer, if they were the same rate as standard springs, then they would bottom out, BUT the diesel is a heavier motor, so putting TI springs out of a twin spark is not the answer, you will have to work out what the spring rate is in a diesel, and have some new ones made, unless you can buy them off the shelf, which i am sure someone has done this before, particulary in the UK, where the JTD is very popular, and the JTD has a longer cam belt change interval than the petrol, and if the cam belt breaks, then the rockers break, saving the engine, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bix

Hi Frangutz,
Yes the JTD motor is a gem!
My 156 Monza had the option pack of lowered suspension (Eibach) which certainly makes the suspension harsher due to less travel. After 80,000kms though, the dampers were shot and needed replacing, which once done, improved the handling no-end. I would suggest that if the car has done that sort of kilometres, replacing the shocks will be a vast improvement. I believe the Ti had stiffer springs as standard, but I see a number of threads online complaining about stiff springs on the Ti with not much damping to match. Replacement with newer Eibach's, Koni's or Bilsteins will be just the ticket.

frangutz

Quote from: colcol on August 20, 2012, 09:21:31 PM
The TI springs are lower and a bit stiffer, if they were the same rate as standard springs, then they would bottom out, BUT the diesel is a heavier motor, so putting TI springs out of a twin spark is not the answer, you will have to work out what the spring rate is in a diesel, and have some new ones made, unless you can buy them off the shelf, which i am sure someone has done this before, particulary in the UK, where the JTD is very popular, and the JTD has a longer cam belt change interval than the petrol, and if the cam belt breaks, then the rockers break, saving the engine, Colin.

Hi Colin,

thanks for this.

I wasn't thinking of putting TI springs in a Diesel. Just wondering if there was a difference in ride quality between a standard 147 and a TI model.

I am also assuming (from what I've read) that the Monza (in Australia) is a TI with some cosmetic additions (ie wheels, chrome, bluetooth), so the ride between a Monza and TI would be the same (albeit that the Monza has 18" compared to the TI with 17" rubber).

I definitely would want to go for either a Ti Twin Spark, Monza Twin Spark or Monza JTD.

=Franco.

AROCA - SA Member
Former 156 V6 Owner.... now 147 Monza

John Hanslow

I have swapped over very firm shockers with lowered sports springs for standard Ti springs.

So I have an ordinary looking 2002 147 TS with great leather luxury interior that is a great drive.

I really enjoy driving on vairous Early Morning Club Runs and on the Tourismo Tasmania.

If I got the same type of 147 again or post 2005 model (with leather) would still swap the suspension over again.  So I get the best of both worlds.  I just find the sports interior a bit firm.

Cheers
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata