CHANGE OF VENUE for December Club night

Started by Evan Bottcher, December 01, 2007, 11:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

Please note that the 12th December club night will be held at:

Kent Hotel, 370 Rathdowne St North Carlton

instead of the usual location.  Please spread the word to make sure everyone knows where to turn up to!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Victor Lee

I put up with high meal and drink prices and ordinary SPAM service (coz the SPAM can't cope with the simultaneous group bookings) at Bells Hotel because I want to share a meal and the company of my fellow Club members every month.   :)

And now we have to change the Club meeting location (which is usually the biggest monthly meeting of the year because friends want to catch up before the Xmas break) because the (I believe) new owners of Bells Hotel have double booked the room where we have our meetings.  >:(   This is despite the Club having a standing booking for every second Wednesday of the month (except January) for at least the past 10 years!

So, perhaps if the Kent Hotel is ok, then this maybe a permanent change??   ???

What's the parking like around this place?
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

alfagtv58

Quote from: Victor Lee on December 02, 2007, 09:09:51 PM

So, perhaps if the Kent Hotel is ok, then this maybe a permanent change??   ???

I hope not....I will be there for the December meeting, but if this is a permanent change I wont be able to come often, Carlton is just too far for me. >:(
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Victor Lee

For the sake of the Club, I agree.  Despite the pricing and service, it is a good meeting location and it is central to most members.

I would assume that the Committee have told the owners of Bells in no uncertain terms of the Club's displeasure of this double booking "error", and the possiblle consequences if it happens again!
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Scott Farquharson

Really, the pricing and service at Bells is atrocious, surely there is another venue that meets our needs?
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

John Hanslow

On the basis that a South Melbourne pub (with function room) is centrally located for all members and a move may be necessary, how about  looking into the idea of finding another similar pub?

Clarendon St precinct or Bay St Port Melb have plenty of good pubs and are centrally located with good freeway access.

Obviously you require the following criteria to be met:
*  central location with parking availability
*  well priced food & drink
*  good SPAM and service to match volumes on busy nights
*  a usable function room with seating to hold meetings

Just an idea but I can see some further investigation is needed.

Cheers.

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Neil Choi

Hey there

I will be in it for this important fact finding mission for the club.

I would sacrifice my liver and stomach for this pub crawl,sorry, fact finding tour.

When do we start and where, I believe there are a good number of pubs within walking, crawling distances of each other.

Neil

Victor Lee

Oh-Oh!  I may started something here!   :-\

Quote from: John Hanslow on December 03, 2007, 01:30:49 PM

Obviously you require the following criteria to be met:
*  central location with parking availability
*  well priced food & drink
*  good SPAM and service to match volumes on busy nights
*  a usable function room with seating to hold meetings

In addition to John's criteria, I would say:
* SAFE parking availability.
* AUDIO/VISUAL capabilities if we want to show a video or DVD or Powerpoint presentation.
* FREE function room.  The assumption is that the pub would make the money on the food and drinks of which they would not have otherwise if the meeting wasn't held there.

Wish list:
The Anchor & Hope pub (where the Club held it's meetings eons ago) had an area where we could display a special car.  Similiar to Bells, but don't have to sacrifice seats/table to do so.

It is a real pity that another pub close by, the Town Hall Hotel (cnr Moray and Bank St) doesn't have a function big enough to hold us.  They have specials like $10 porterhouse!

In the absence of a better proposal (of which Neil can lead a fact finding subcommittee to sample said pubs!  ;D), Bells had better lock all our Club meeting dates in for 2008!

Cheers