headlight stalk repair

Started by Fast Eddie, August 14, 2012, 02:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fast Eddie

typical, running late, its raining and as i park the 86 GTV6 in the carpark, whilst turning off the headlights, i manage to break the stork internally and it now only spins around rendering the lights stuck 'on'.

Fortunately, I have a battery imobiliser so could at least disconnect the battery to save running it flat.

And I havent done any investigation yet, but it feels like the stork has broken inside or broken some sort of link inside to the light switch, as it just spins around now and can be removed from the mechanism altogether.

Any tricks, suggestions? is it likely to be repairable or require a mechanism replacement?
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Sheldon McIntosh

That happened on our Shitbox Alfetta this year.  Evan fixed that one, I think by roughing up the splines a bit with pliers, and then supergluing it in position.  Seemed to work, but couldn't say how long it would last.

branko.gt

i have nothing constructive to offer other than nitpicking about language.

stalk    [stawk]  noun
1. the stem or main axis of a plant.
2. any slender supporting or connecting part of a plant, as the petiole of a leaf, the peduncle of a flower, or the funicle of an ovule.
3. a similar structural part of an animal.
4. a stem, shaft, or slender supporting part of anything.
5. Automotive . a slender lever, usually mounted on or near the steering wheel, that is used by the driver to control a signal or function: The horn button is on the turn-signal stalk.

stork   [stawk]  noun, plural storks, ( especially collectively ) stork.
1. any of several wading birds of the family Ciconiidae, having long legs and a long neck and bill. Compare adjutant stork, jabiru, marabou ( def. 1 ) , white stork, wood ibis.
2. the stork, this bird as the mythical or symbolic deliverer of a new baby: My brother and his wife are expecting the stork in July.

Fast Eddie

You know me better than that Branko, it was an obvious typo and if i had taken the time to read my post before is submitted it, i would have corrected it.

No way my Mum would let me get away with incorrect spelling.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

branko.gt

Quote from: Fast Eddie on August 14, 2012, 05:03:28 PM
You know me better than that Branko, it was an obvious typo and if i had taken the time to read my post before is submitted it, i would have corrected it.

No way my Mum would let me get away with incorrect spelling.
i do and that is why i jumped at the opportunity  ;)

Evan Bottcher

Congratulations on the imminent arrival of the stork in your family!

As Sheldon said - the stalk just seems to have some small splines which rotate the switch part.  I roughed up the splines to give it some more grip which worked a bit.  Then I followed the Collauti method - Wurth super glue.  That got us through the rally, but I don't think it was going to last forever.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Fast Eddie

thanks, i was hoping the superglue method might be a short term option to repair the stalk.

and speaking of storks, yes we are expecting one to do a delivery at our place late JAN next year!
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Al Campbell

Quoteand speaking of storks, yes we are expecting one to do a delivery at our place late JAN next year!

Well try not to break this one until it's made the delivery.  Congratulations by the way.

I find Super Glue is too brittle for anything that gets repeated flexing and often gives way after a while. Can't guarantee but clean the splines with some solvent then use an epoxy, they have a little bit of flex. Not normal Araldite as that softens at relatively low temperatures. Haven't really helped much have I?

Oh Well.
Al.

kartone

done the very same repair on my 1980 GTV stork ;D,  the epoxy is by far the best repair material
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Fast Eddie on August 15, 2012, 03:56:25 PM
and speaking of storks, yes we are expecting one to do a delivery at our place late JAN next year!

Congrats mate!!  Looking forward to seeing you and the family at the end of Shitbox Rally 2013.

Fast Eddie

Congrats mate!!  Looking forward to seeing you and the family at the end of Shitbox Rally 2013.
[/quote]

i hadnt looked at the route, is it coming to the Wild West this time?  excellent if so and an after even party at our place for all Alfa entrants will be planned.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Sheldon McIntosh

Yes mate, finish in Fremantle. 

Fast Eddie

just looked it up.  Excellent, see you all in May 2013.

Ed
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV