Found Alfa 33 Photo while cleaning out building

Started by bazzapr, July 30, 2012, 04:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazzapr

Hi guys. New to the forum as I had to share this and ask for some more information.

I immediately fell in love with this piece of work. I found this in a building we were cleaning out. Asked the owner if I could keep and he agreed. Not sure what the year is etc.

Can anyone tell me more about the vehicle please as I am not an avid Alfa enthusiast? As I said, I had to know more. Pictures do not do it justice.

The way they have put this on the board is also well done. I cannot find any edges of the picture. Good board too.

Thank you all.

Kind Regards,
Barry

bazzapr

I have been asking some other people and it seems the consensus is that it is an 1983-1985, Alfa 33, 1.2 - 1.7 Litre. Still not exact but good enough I reckon.

It is now hanging in my sons room and he is very chuffed with it ;-)

Thank you for all those that had a look. Comments welcome if you think you can get closer.

Evan Bottcher

I'm sorry Barry, I didn't see this until now.

That is an Alfa 33 1.5 "Ti" or "Green Cloverleaf" (GCL).  They were brought into Aus 1984-1986.  They were the most powerful twin-carb 1500cc engine - 105hp (79kW).  Boxer engine, 5-speed gearbox, front wheel drive.  Clever suspension design (inherited from the earlier Alfasud) makes them a sweet handling car unlike a lot of other 80s front-drivers.  A lovely rorty and eager little car, a hoot to drive. 

I picked one up cheaply in 2007 (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=627.0) and drove it around for a couple of years, then another club member took possession of it and used it regularly.  It's now sitting in my driveway looking a little forlorn.

They really are fantastic cars - the body and trim is not very durable, but mechanically they take an incredible punishment and come back for more.  You'll find lots of enthusiasts for these Alfa 33s here on the forum.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

bazzapr

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on August 01, 2012, 09:00:38 AM
That is an Alfa 33 1.5 "Ti" or "Green Cloverleaf" (GCL).  They were brought into Aus 1984-1986.  They were the most powerful twin-carb 1500cc engine - 105hp (79kW).  Boxer engine, 5-speed gearbox, front wheel drive.  Clever suspension design (inherited from the earlier Alfasud) makes them a sweet handling car unlike a lot of other 80s front-drivers.  A lovely rorty and eager little car, a hoot to drive. 
cheers,
Evan.

Evan,

Thank you so much. That is a lot of information and it sounds like an impressive vehicle.

Thank you for clearing up the clover bit because I was wondering about that with the car being Italian and the clover Irish.

Again, thank you.

PS! I hope the one you own comes out of its shell ;-)

Evan Bottcher

No worries Barry.  The cloverleaf is indeed an interesting addition to an Italian car.  Here's a little history if you are interested (snipped from here)

QuoteIn an era where motor racing was still in its infancy, one of the highlights in an ever-evolving racing calender was the Targa Florio. Commonly held as the oldest sports car racing event, having been founded in 1906, the race used the Sicilian mountains near Palermo as its stage.

In 1923, Alfa Romeo driver and 'eternally second' Ugo Sivocci carried a four-leafed clover symbol, known as Quadrifoglio Verde in Italian, for luck on the deep red bodywork of his Alfa Romeo RL as he lined up for the 1923 Targa Florio. It must have worked...because he won.

Ever since, the Cloverleaf has symbolised the sporting heart of Alfa Romeo, recognised and celebrated by Alfisti throughout the world. Alfa Romeo's bearing the symbol went on the win the Targa Florio for five years in a row, the inaugural F1 championship and multiple touring car accolades. What's more, the high performance road cars produced by Alfa Romeo are also gifted the title Quadrifoglio Verde in respect of the achievements made in the presence of this iconic symbol.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

bazzapr

Just love it!

Thanks mate. Trivia always interesting. Shows you how to unrelated things meet up.

colcol

I have had my 1984 33 TI now since 1986, thats 26 years, i look after it properly, and it looks after me, still drive it to work and back everyday, a trip to and home of 72 kilometres, i actually still have that leaflet i got from the Alfa Romeo at the 1985 Melbourne Motor Show at the old Exhibition Buildings in Carlton, the leaflets are not that rare, they come up on ebay, from time to time, and the Alfasud and 33 were not the only cars to rust, think of 105's, Alfetta's, Guillietta's, Fiat's, Lancia's, Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Maserati's, De Tomassa, Iso's, all the steel was below par, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]