GTV6 Timing belt/tensioner questions

Started by mfroes, December 09, 2016, 04:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfroes

Hi Guys,
I have an 1985 GTV6 2.5 and It has come the time to change the timing belt. I've sourced the timing belt and water pump already but have some questions about the tensioner.
should i change from the hydraulic to mechanical tensioner or rebuild the hydraulic(dont see any apparent leaks)? If rebuilding, do anyone knows where i can find the bearing to change ?
I've heard people say to rebuild on every belt change(due to actuator degradation) and some people saying that if it's not leaking dont touch it.
Also, should i get some cam pulleys and change ? I've seen timing belts brake because of too much dust contamination on the pulleys and causes it to "sharpen" the gears and cut the belt.
But that is another part it is being hard to find together with some new cam belt covers because the ones on the engine have dried, cracked and broke.

Thanks in advance guys,
Marcelo

LukeC

My policy is to re-kit the DE-tensioner EVERY belt change whether it is leaking or not. If the unit is not full of oil, it may have had the oil supply blocked off (it was common practice back in the late eighties, but can cause belt breakage)... By now, most would have been corrected. Check it!

Never seen a T-B pulley worn enough that it causes issues.

Cant answer on the other issues. I have heard the bearings can be scarce, but I personally would adapt the unit to fit a more generic bearing off something like a Subbie (but not a Toyota).
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au