How many people compete in the Super Modified class?

Started by Jekyll and Hyde, November 27, 2007, 07:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jekyll and Hyde

Just out of idle curiosity to see how many and what sorts of cars I'm going to get shown up by in my very close to stock car  ;D

jimnielsen

Awww.  I was hoping that you'd be gracing us with your presence in Under 2L Racing Class!!!

JimN
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Scott Farquharson

Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Evan Bottcher

From the competition rules.

3.   In addition any car with any of the following will be classified as 'Racing Class':
a.   Tyres marked for competition use only.
b.   Cars fitted with forced induction systems.
c.   Cars using nitrous oxide injection systems.

oh - and I compete in the super modified class  :P
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Evan Bottcher

Just remembered you haven't put the turbo on it yet!  My bad :)
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Sheldon McIntosh

It's not the cars in super-modified I'd be worried about, it's the drivers.  They're all very fast and very experienced.

Evan Bottcher

They're all very fast and experienced except for me!

My wife Fiona and I drive the 1500cc Sud Ti in super modified under 2L.  We're a heck of a long way off the fastest 2 litre twinspark cars in that class though...

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

jimnielsen

Scott ~ the sad 155 Q4 update is that I don't have a clutch for it. Its just barely possible that I can get it organized for Phillip Island, but probably as likely as John Howard retaining his seat.

Jim.

'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Scott Farquharson

Bad news Jimbo - i am keen to see it in action....

Hey TurboGTV, don't worry about the competition - it is very hard to build a winning car to Super Mod specs cos the rules are so broad - so just get out there and have some fun.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Scott Farquharson on November 27, 2007, 10:36:56 PM
Hey TurboGTV, don't worry about the competition - it is very hard to build a winning car to Super Mod specs cos the rules are so broad - so just get out there and have some fun.

Couldn't agree more, good point Scott. 

Jekyll and Hyde

QuoteHey TurboGTV, don't worry about the competition - it is very hard to build a winning car to Super Mod specs cos the rules are so broad - so just get out there and have some fun.

Nah, I'm not stressed about placing well at all, I know that ain't gonna happen.  Theory and driving on very tight back roads isn't going to cut it when it comes down to the entry to each corner on the track!  (I have a suspicion the red mist may goad me on, despite what I know is the smarter and faster way to do it).  As Sheldon said, the drivers will be even more of an issue for me than the cars.  That, and I'm building the car to be a fun street car which may happen to make a few smaller sacrifices towards track time.  At the end of the day, I'll probably be comparing my lap times to the base modified and stock classes to get more of an idea of how I'm driving.  I was just interested to see how many people run under that class, as it sort of seemed to be a bit middle ground - as in a class that most people would either not modify enough to end up in, or modify into Racing class...

QuoteAwww.  I was hoping that you'd be gracing us with your presence in Under 2L Racing Class!!!

Haha - not quite yet my friend, but I'm sure I will end up there at some stage!

Evan Bottcher

Have a look at the results posted at natsoft from our last sprint at Sandown:

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results.cgi?07/10/2007.SAN.S15.Y

Class E1 (super modified under 2L) has the most cars in it compared to the other Alfa classes by far.  Same with the previous sprint at Phillip Island:

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results.cgi?08/09/2007.PHIL.S17.Y

I have a sneaking suspicion that there might be a couple of cars that under close scrutiny might end up in racing class, but they are within the 'spirit' of super modified...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Jekyll and Hyde

Those cars in the associate class are a pain....  Wonder how modified that 200sx is, it's kind of making me wish I HAD bought a 180sx.  Ah well - I'll just have to make it faster than them  :P.  Better learn to race properly first though.

Scott Farquharson

Turbo, make sure you come to the driver training session in March - it is excellent and you get about a kazillion hours of track time on the best learning circuit in Vic - Winton.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: TurboGTV on November 28, 2007, 09:46:41 PM
  Better learn to race properly first though.

Yep.  Straight line speed is the last thing to worry about.  I've seen a few turbo Japanese cars written off at track days in the last couple of years.  Sometimes you can have too much power.