Whittlesea to Kinglake Road now 80 km/h all the way to Kinglake West

Started by aggie57, July 23, 2012, 07:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aggie57

Ahhh!!!  How long as this very excellent road been marked at 80 km/h?  I went up there yesterday on the way to Broadford.  How daft - any modern car and most not so modern cars can climb that excellent dual lane road safely at 100km/h every day in any conditions.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Barry Edmunds

aggie57
Just one more bit of evidence that the Nanny state is alive and well in Victoria and follows the standard political answer to any problem - if you can't control it ban it.
Barry

Anthony Sharp

While working up at Kinglake West years ago used to run down this road a lot in the GTV, it was a lovely 8 min drive, this is slightly more then the new 80MPH sorry 80K limit and it wasn't duel lane. The problem is that as soon as the bikes start using a road Vicroads lowers the speed limit to stop their accidents, then the bike move to the next one, and it all happens again, soon every road with two bends in it will be 80 or 60.  >:(

colcol

I notice a story in the Drive section of the Age on Saturday, that the Greens party in Germany want the speed limit reduced to 130 kph, to save lives?, no, to reduce pollution, at high speeds, the current German Goverment said speed limits on Autobahns, won't reduce the road toll, but try telling the Red and Blue Goverments here, with the Motorists being looked after by the RACV, what hope have we got?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

I told one of the Motor Cycle riders at work, and he said its a favourite ride of theirs, and it has been 80kph for a while now, still a good bit of road for a Sunday cruise, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

wankski

i was going to engage in a rant but i'll spare everyone.

what evidence is there to support that assumption? That Vicroads reduced the limit to accommodate bikes?

suffice to say disappointed in the attitude towards riders displayed here. way to hate on a minority.

i'll just leave with this: a similar number of motorcyclists are killed on Victorian roads each each as pedestrians... if you think the former is a group of irresponsible risk takers that ought be lumped in the same basket, what does that say of the latter group of which at one point or another we all are?

on the chance you were talking cyclists, far fewer of those are claimed than any other group, in fact over most years you can count them more or less on one hand...

or maybe, just maybe, Vicroads decided to reduce the limit for an unrelated reason - or maybe it was a part of their 'adopted policy' to save all road users from themselves?

signed,

one dismayed alfista.

Barry Edmunds

If VicRoads are responsible for lowering speed limits, all in the name of road safety for ALL road users of course or to save road users from themselves, why then do they insist on installing signs on freeways which read POLICE ENFORCING SPEED.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the message that our erstwhile authorities are trying to convery to road users by having such confusing messages as the one above and exactly what is the message that the above sign is supposed to convey.

wankski

i might be misconstruing your question - but vicroads sets limits, police enforce... nothing unusual or too confusing about that?

http://www.camerassavelives.vic.gov.au/home/road+trauma/speed+and+road+safety/speed+limits/

Vicroads obviously are responsible for road signs, and limits based on 'environmental factors' - but as you can see above - it's their set policy to reduce speed.

obviously a lot of us are going to disagree with that, but it doesn't change their adopted policy.

Vicroads is NOT a law enforcement agency - Police under the crimes act and the road safety act enforce road laws. I think that's pretty clear?

aggie57

All I was saying in my original post is that the road is perfectly safe at 100km/h. At least on the way up.  Maybe it's less safe at that speed going down in the wet or fog.  But using that logic all roads in Victoria would be 80.....Or less

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM

wankski

absolutely. the data suggests it was perfectly safe. at least back in 2008 (last update of map)

https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100333373865308010614.00044dc5b31c5e08122dd&z=7

Evan Bottcher

Yesterday Jack and I came back from the Winton Festival of Speed via Swanpool-Bonnie Doon-Yea-Flowerdale-Kinglake-Whittlesea.  The Kinglake-Whittlesea part might be a bit nobbled, but the rest of that drive was just magic - especially the section from Yea down to Kinglake.  Lovely sweeping corners and climbs, relatively low traffic.  I haven't been that way in a couple of years so really enjoyed it.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfagtv58

I go that way every time, I love it, even with a trailer on!  Much better than the Hume.

There was a lot of traffic coming back from the snow yesterday though  ::)
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

aggie57

Yeah - I do the same. Although the new subdivisions up to Whittlesea do make it a bit longer than it used to be.

In the old days the road from Whittlesea to Wandong was a real hoot. Then they straightened and widened it.  Just got like any other road.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977.