Advice Required

Started by Rob Berson, November 25, 2007, 01:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Berson

I have recently purchased a 1977 Alfetta GTV with a Cams logbook for tarmac rallys. I would like to at some time in the near future have the car logbooked for Group S. Can somebody please clarify a few points for me re Group S regs.

1. What is the maximum size rim and tyre allowed? Currently have 15X6 rims on five stud hubs - I assume I will have to revert back to four stud hubs?

2. What front brake setups are allowed or generally used. Currently have what I believe to be Volvo 4 spot calipers with GTV6 rotors.

3. Are LSD's and adjustable front anti roll bars allowed.

4. The car currently has no rear seats - I assume that I will have to fit a set by modifying them to fit aroud the roll cage?

Any help and advice on these points would be appreciated.

Rob Berson

alfagtv58

Hi Rob,

Welcome, good to see another Alfa in Group S!!

In answer to your questions....

1. 14 x 6 is maximum wheel size for Alfetta GTV.  And yes you will have to revert to 4 stud.

2. Standard brakes is what is in the regs.  I have standard callipers and rotors, I have also removed the booster and installed a pedal box.  We were a little worried that we would end up with brake fade, but I recently did one hour in the car at the 6Hour and the brakes were fine.....the pedal was a little long at the end of the hour, but not enough to be concerned.

3. LSD is fine as the transaxle housing is to be standard but internals are free, but no adjustable anti roll bars (or watts link for that matter).

4. Rear seat is required.  I had to cut out some of the sub frame inside my rear seat to fit inside the roll cage, but a pretty easy job.

Best of luck.  Post some pics when you get the chance.

Phil.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Rob Berson

Thanks Phil

I assume that the GTV was only available with one front caliper/rotor(solid) option that I need to source.
Was the four pot Brenbo caliper and vented rotor only available on the GTV6?

Rob

Scott Farquharson

Great to see another on the Group S path.

Phil's answers are spot on. 

Yes, there is only one caliper/rotor option available.  Solid rotor and the small caliper.  Some people are using GTV6 caliper/rotor combo which is technically not allowed.  I decided to stay with the std setup to ensure the car was 100% legit.

As Phil said fade was the big fear but with the exception of Sandown they have been fine.  The big braking Sandown was a bit worse, enough to put me in the kitty litter at Dandenong Rd cnr, but i now now how far I can push it.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with - would love to see you out there.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Rob Berson

Thanks for all the info. I have sourced a set of 14 x 6 Momo mags off e-bay - next up need to source a set of hubs and front brake calipers.
One question I forgot to ask originally - can I use an electronic dizzy with a coil or do I need to source an original one with points?

Rob

Jekyll and Hyde

If you can't find any hubs/calipers locally, I have a set that I pulled off my 81 GTV in order to fit my GTV6 hubs and calipers.

Could probably do with new discs, but I'd imagine you'd be doing that and rebuilding the calipers anyway considering the intended use.  They worked fine on my car before I removed them, and they only came off the car a couple of months ago.

Located in Melbourne.

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Rob Berson on December 02, 2007, 06:06:21 PM
I have sourced a set of 14 x 6 Momo mags off e-bay

I was so close to bidding on that...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfagtv58

Quote from: Rob Berson on December 02, 2007, 06:06:21 PM

One question I forgot to ask originally - can I use an electronic dizzy with a coil or do I need to source an original one with points?

Rob

Unfortunatley we cannot run electronic dizzy, you will need to find a points one.....its a shame,cos that is a really good mod to do, but them's the rules ???
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Rob Berson

Thanks Phil - pity about that.

Rob