Vintage Tyres available again

Started by Craig_m67, July 10, 2012, 12:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

A few months back I restored some 4.5x15" rims for the Duetto and have been waiting for 155HR15 Pirelli Cinturato tyres to be made available. I'm pretty sure these were period correct for the early 105s with the Michelins available later.

Can anybody add any experience, advice or historical nuggets on the three choices available ??
Whilst period correct is kinda the aim, I also want to make a sensible choice.

1. Pirelli Cinturato
2. Michelin XAS FF
3. Verdestein classic (not original but cheaper)

I'll be importing unless anybody knows a local supplier (with stock) ?

Cheers
Craig
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

SimonR

I saw a tyre seller display outside at the Melbourne Exhibition Buildings not long ago as part of the Motorclassica show and they had a large range of re-made historic tyres available. I have a brochure somewhere at home , however some time spent Googling should locate them eventually. I didnt enquire about price etc though, but they had tyres for all cars dating from 1920's to 60-70's etc so may be easier than importing and at least you can have a good look at them before purchase etc.
1973 Alfa Spider - Red
1984 GTV 2.0 - White

pancho

Craig - There's a vintage tyre mob in Heidelberg Victoria you can try.

Btw your package left today.

David Mills

Craig, don't know whether this helps or not but original tyres on my 1900 Berlina were metric sized Michelin X and my local dealer can still supply! These were actually the first steel belted radial in the world.  Original tyres on my 1968 Super were Pirelli Cinturato and I gather there maybe some expensive recreations still available. The first car I had Michelin XAS on was my 1974 Montreal and I think they were original.

So there you go!

McAnnik

Google up Longstone Tyre Supplies, UK. and get what you want, Michelin and Pirelli air freighted FREE to Australia,(set of four prefered).Read the fine print!!!!,MICHELIN tubes of the correct size if needed can be provided F.O.C. in the order if you order PIRELLI tyres,as the main request.A worthwhile request!Dunno how they can  do that but they do! Don't forget to order your Free copy of Longstones naughty 1920's style repro girlie poster, just the thing for the Alfisti garage! I got a couple of 'em,it shows a nifty flapper in near naked poses with a real vintage Citroen. Don't all rush at once!!!!!!!!...............Cheers.

Evan Bottcher

That's an awesome deal McAnnik!

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/

They'll do Michelin XAS 165HR14 for my 1750 GTV, landed in Australia for £526.00.  That's impressive.  I'm not buying just now, but will definitely consider this in the future.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Craig_m67

Cheers guys,

It's Longstone I was talking too, they've just advised the Pirellis are available again and their simple delivered pricing is hard to beat. I guess my question goes to the tyres themselves, anybody driven on either - know the differences ?

I think I've already decided to go with the Cinturato, I'm developing a nice OEM OCD streak :)

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Campbeli

Old post but rather than start a new one......I'm looking at new tyres for my 1970 gt junior (now with 2 litre nord). Currently has 195/70R 14's which are old and I think too wide for the car.
Originality would demand 165 but with a 2 litre I'm thinking 175's or 185's.
Are the CN 36 cinturato's worth the price ($306 each from stuckey's) or is a modern tyre of that profile the smart choice?
Any recommendation on a modern 165/175/185?

Thanks
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

LaStregaNera

Quote from: McAnnik on July 10, 2012, 08:45:16 PM
   Google up Longstone Tyre Supplies, UK {snip} Michelin and Pirelli air freighted FREE to Australia,(set of four prefered).
That's changed. Last time I looked (last year), they were very  pricey on shipping (and that was without even looking at the price of the tyres!), and Dougal ignored my queries on the AlfaBB about why there was a massive step up in sipping cost between a set of Avon CR6ZZs and a set of Michelins in the same size.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Campbeli

I've sent an email to longstone, no reply yet

Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

Campbeli

Reply from longstone.
"Shipping would be £150.00 for a set of Pirelis, I would ask you to contact Stuckey Tyres also as they are our Autralian Pirelli Dealer."

Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

Gary Pearce

The only Australian supplier of Michelin classic tyres is Stuckey's at Brunswick.
If you want Pirelli you will need to ship them from UK, as Australian Dealers won't stock them.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Campbeli

Jeff from Stuckeys quoted me on pirelli's - said they are cheaper than Michelin XAS
$306 for a Pirelli 185/70 VR 14

Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

LaStregaNera

Quote from: Campbeli on July 26, 2019, 01:48:15 PM
Jeff from Stuckeys quoted me on pirelli's - said they are cheaper than Michelin XAS
$306 for a Pirelli 185/70 VR 14

I just can't see the value in that, as much as I hate the current set of tires on my car.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6