Proud new owner

Started by daniel270991, July 14, 2012, 08:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daniel270991

Hi everyone,

Have found myself onto this forum and hope to gain much knowledge and advice in my time here!

I have just become the owner of a 2002 Monza 156, after my first 3 cars of Ford, Audi and BMW (in that order). I find myself to be a car enthusiast on many levels. The car has done a mere 90,000ks and full servicing history, and looked great by even better owners who really looked after the car.

Having my father as an aircraft technician, his mechanical knowledge is very extensive and believes the Alfa are made as quality. Having no prior history with Alfa, when we began to look we relied heavily on reviews, write ups, and recommendations over the net.

Anyways, hope to be a part of the Alfa family and enjoy my time here on the forums.

Cheers, Daniel

colcol

Hello Daniel, welcome to the forum, great bunch of people, that have a lot of knowledge out there, [excluding me], if you are from Victoria, join the Alfa club, and come along to the Cruise to Ballarat in a couple of weeks time, Alfa Romeo's are well designed and engineered, but the quality is not up there with Toyota, but they are certainly more reliable than in the olden days, things to look out for in a twin spark, is they like a drink of oil, so check the level every week, and the type of oil to use is 10-40 fully synthetic racing oil, of your favourite oil manufacturer, also the cam belts have to be changed every 3 years or 50,000klms, if not you will have a valve to piston collision, resulting in a destroyed motor, if it is unknown when the cam belt was last done have it done now to avoid engine failure, sometimes these cars are sold just prior to needing a cam belt change, the cost is $900-$1200, depending on who does it and what they replace, have the water pump done every second cam belt change, after about 70,000, the front suspension will start knocking, this is usually the top control arms, followed by sway bar links and or bushes and sometimes the lower control arms can rattle too, happy motoring, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

daniel270991

Hi Colin, thanks so much for your reply, and your information.
The cam belt was changed only recently and also the water pump. The owner had kept it absolutely flawless and the leather doesnt have a scratch on it, which is great. I realise and see that you have explained alot to new owners but I thank you again!

In terms of the oil - are they any 'specific' brands of oil to use? I read that the Selenia oil is recommended but I am sure that the other 'generic' brands - I mean of Castrol, Penrite, Shell, etc, would suffice? I have used previously Penrite HPR5 5w-40 and have had good experience with it. Would there be any other specific oils to use?

Thanks also for the info regarding the top ups. In terms of consumption, how much would it consume upon normal driving? (Have not got the car as yet - on Wednesday)

Cheers, Daniel

colcol

The important thing with the oils is that it is 10-40 viscosity, as you will see on your radiator apron, the type is fully synthetic racing oil, the brand you use is entirely up to you, whatever your favourite brand is, or whatever is on special at Repco or Supercheap, i have used Mobil, Castrol, Penrite, Shell, Valvoline, all good, there are no bad oils out there, just bad oil in cars that is dirty and should be changed more regular, my 156 JTS uses about 500mls per month or 1500 klms, the twin sparks drink less, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]