Alfa catches fire in Burnley tunnel!

Started by GTVeloce, May 28, 2012, 10:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

I just caught a news article of a car that caught fire in the tunnel and set the sprinklers off. It looked like a Alfa GT. Anybody know any details?

colcol

I got stirred about that today by the Falcan owners at work, i actually wasn't sure if they were making it up, check tommorows papers, didn't hear anything on the news, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

shiny_car

Definitely a bad week for damaged cars. First, a smashed up Aston Martin One-77 in HK. Now, a fire in a GT!!! I don't know which is worse.  ;D

Sad, reading about the GT. Thing is, it's probably more precious to that owner than the Aston was, to its owner.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

colcol

Thats why i have a fire extingusher in my car, insurance companys used to offer 2.5% discount if you carried one , modern cars with high pressure [JTS] injection systems, only need a slight leak in the fuel system, and up they go, be interested to know what caused it, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

ANG156

I wonder if blocked catalytic converters can cause this?

colcol

The common thought down the pub is that all Alfa Romeo's are rubbish and are always breaking down, rusting and now catching fire, Colin.

Palermo TI

Oh no:'( This could only happen to alfas, I suppose! People that think so should really grow up >:(
Ciao Fab
Alfa spider Lusso 2004
Giulitta Distintive
Live the Dream

GTVeloce

I thought the spelling was Alpha Romeo...

kartone

Too much plastic, if it metal and rust it wouldn't have burned !
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

kartone

What happened to fire extinguishers mounted on the wall of the tunnel as in EU & NA ?
If water deluge was the only answer the alpine countries would be in trouble (especially in winter).
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

Beatle

Have you seen how ineffective a 1kg extinguisher is on an engine fire?  I have two in my 4WD and one in the Alfa, but they are pretty useless.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

McAnnik

An older "standard" (now barred from use because of "Green" issues  Etc. Etc. Etc and a $10000 fine if your caught using one!)is the "Halon' extinguiisher which would have put the blaze out  in about 4.6 seconds. I still carry one and stuff the rules,I WILL USE IT if its to save my car or (God Help Us),SOMEONE ELSES LIFE!!!! maybe even my own!. Enuf said on that!!!.........................................Cheers

Beatle

Yes, a 'BCF' extinguisher is much more useful.  A 1kg bottle will chill down a carton of 24 cans to drinking temp...... ;D   And I believe the fine is $10K in vic fior possession, $20K for discharging one  :o
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

colcol

Hey GTVeloce, the spelling Alpha Romeo is only if you are A Current Affair or other type of Bogan, a 1kg dry powder fire extinguisher is better than nothing, i was driving an old Gemini years ago, and the engine caught fire, put it out with a bottle of solo, [i am not making this up], should shake up powder extinguishers every month or so, to stop powder packing tightly, and not coming out when needed, Colin.