Vale Tony Hawker

Started by Stuart Thomson, May 26, 2012, 05:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Thomson

It is with great sadness that I must pass on the news of the death of one of AROCA Vic's long time and much loved members.

Tony lost his battle with cancer only an hour or so ago.

The Victorian Division has lost another gentleman today.  Personally I greatly enjoyed Tony's company, we clicked from the first day we met, he was easy to get along with and loved to talk about his cars and the marque in general.  Tony competed in Group S racing in the car now owned by Neil Choi.  Tony loved life, some of my happiest memories are of nights at the "Big Fat Greek Bar and Grill" in Rhyll, we routinely drank them out of Alfa beer.

Please use this thread to post your memories of Tony, post a picture if you have one, celebrate his time with us.

My pictures were taken at Spettacolo.  Tony was regaling us with facts and figures about the 2600, Phil Nash is soaking up the information in one, the other is a solo shot of Tony deep in thought.

Stuart Thomson
President AROCA Vic.

aggie57

Very sad. A true gentleman; humble, sincere, loyal, and always a pleasure to be with.

Rest well Tony.  The world is a poorer place with you gone.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Ray Pignataro

A very sad day. Susan and I did many six hour events, both winton and mallala always enjoyable,Tony always a gentleman.Will be sadly missed

Neil Choi

A gentleman and a great Alfa representative.

Yes, many great yarns at the Big Fat Greek and the Alfa beers.

My fond memories of Tony campaigning his Gp S Alfetta at 6 hr and PI Historics. 

Victor Lee

A sad day indeed.  Tony was just a top bloke and great Club person.  He was a backbone of our regular Six Hour Team until he retired from competition.  This is the way I will remember him ...
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

massiveluvbuddy67

A wonderful man!

Straight up and down.

Always composed.

Tony always kept it simple, called it the way he saw it and generally with great humour and verve.

A perfectionist with his cars and possessed with an erudite knowledge of many things not the least being Alfa Romeos.

Dearly missed already.

Be at peace now Tony after a long, difficult battle.

Commiserations to Clem, his daughters and their families.  

Godspeed my friend!  :'(

(The photo below is Tony receiving the Ian Campbell trophy for best car at AutoItalia 2011, his last big Alfa trip, for his lovely Giulietta Sprint Veloce).

alfagtv58

Indeed a sad day.  :'(

When I joined the club Tony was Rally Co-ordinator, I watched and read about his progress in Targa Tas and Classic Adelaide in his GTV6 from afar.  Not long after, I called him to discuss motorsport, circuit, rally, club etc etc.  Tony gave me lots of his time and advice.  He was an inspiration for me to follow through and get more involved.  Little did I know that many years later he and I would compete at club level, 6 Hours and Group S races.

And (more improtantly) we would share many meals, hotel rooms, garages etc.  Each time we went away for a race weekend, I would always look forward to the Saturday night dinner as I always knew that Tony's red wine selection would be the right one.  I too have good memories of my Big Fat Greek, likewise a night that sticks in my memory is from this very weekend a few years back while competing together at Historic Winton, Gary Pearce, Basil (Barry Williams), Tony and myself having dinner at the Tatong pub...dunno why, it was just one of those nights that sticks in your mind as 'it's great to have mates like this', Tony being his usual self and becoming instant mates with the publican!!

My thoughts are with Clem and the rest of the family.

Vale Charles 'Tony' Hawker. 

Here is a particularly nice drive from Tony in the wet at PI Histics in 2010.
http://vimeo.com/10343489
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

gregsalfa

Very sad to lose such a gentleman. Everyone who knew Tony was impressed by his warmth, kindness and knowledge.
Sincere regards to his family.

Ciao Tony

Greg Briggs
Greg Briggs

Gary Pearce

A lot of fun memories and similar to above Tony played a large part in my decision to go racing.
It has been a real pleasure to enjoy Tony's company and we will miss him now on our Sunday runs, when a few of us Alfisti get together for our Sunday run and a coffee. I have got lots of pictures and cherished memories most of which bring a smile to my face. This one of many depicts a very proud moment of our time together on the arrival of the famous Alfetta 159 to our shores for the 2010 Celebrations. I don't know if we really believed it would get here but as the look on Tony's face shows it was a time of joy. Tony leaves behind a loving wife Clem and 4 lovely daughters, son in laws and several grandchildren. His cars will be iconic memories of a great man but our memories and indeed those of anyone who met him will be that our time together was a great pleasure.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Doug Gould

Bugger, bugger, bugger. I'll miss him. Agree with Victor, the photo against the GTV is characteristic - except usually the collar of his polo was not folded down.
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Ross Flood

A very sad day. A friend over many years – club sprints, 6 hour relays and 2010 celebration organisation.

Tony was always the thorough gentleman, knowledgeable of all things Alfa, a true Alfisti.

One of the memories I will remember most is the 3 days I shared with Tony babysitting the Alfetta 159 at the 2010 Grand Prix. A relaxed picture of him next to number 24. He is missed already.

My sincere condolences to his wife Clem and the extended family.

Ross Flood

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Truly sad news.
My deepest sympathies got out to the family.
Tony was an absolute gentleman of the highest calibre.
It is people like Tony who help to make our club what it is and the world a better place.
Rest in peace Tony.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

branko.gt

It is a  sad day when we lose a friend and a gentleman.
Farewell Tony, we will miss you sorely and remember you fondly.

Brett

Rest peacefully Tony, you were just a great guy to be around. xxx

Neil Choi

The trademark "upturned collar".  Fondest memories.