new alfa convertible

Started by doube_zero, May 23, 2012, 05:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doube_zero

well we all suspected it considering that alfas are outnumbered by mx5s at club sprints, now they are taking over the factory as well!

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/mazdaromeo-sports-car-20120523-1z532.html

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Davidm1600

Agree Evan, no thanks I don't want our Alfas being Mazdas in drag.  Urk, how insipid.

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Repco Lad

Fiat dropped the ball on this one.

The obvious pairing was Mazda and Lancia- think about it

'The sports car for all you wankers out there'

he he he!

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

I have had the pleasure of driving both the classic and current MX-5. They are fantastic cars.
Mazda originally drew inspiration from classic driver's cars (including the Alfa 105) when designing the first MX-5. They wanted to create a car which was not defined by massive horsepower or absolute adhesion to the road. They engineered a car which gave the driver an 'experience' at an affordable price point.
Consequently, they have sold thousands of the things and produced what is arguably, the most Italian,  Japanese car ever.
Assuming Mazda's latest incarnation of the MX-5 is designed in the spirit of its predecessors, I believe the ingredients are there for a true 'classic' Alfa.
What we have is potential for a sound Japanese automotive platform, with a focus on an entertaining driving experience, enhanced by some sexy Alfa bodywork, powered by the Fiat Group's tasty new generation 4 -cylinder technology.
To me, it looks like a recipe for what could be a modern interpretation of the what an Alfa should be. Small, rear wheel drive, and attractive cars with great handling.
If FIAT doesn't fuck it up, it could be awesome. Personally, the potential of this strategy gives me a semi.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

Evan Bottcher

Agreed with Biggus - it'll require some extra hard work and disciplined thinking by Alfa to screw this one up.  But I'm sure it's possible.

Funnily enough I'm less bothered about using the architecture and manufacturing capability of Mazda than I was about using an engine built by Holden at Fisherman's Bend.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Sheldon McIntosh

Once both of the cars depreciate enough that people don't mind putting them on the track, our Club Sprints will be pretty interesting....

aggie57

oh how sweet is victory surrender
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on May 24, 2012, 09:39:08 AM
Once both of the cars depreciate enough that people don't mind putting them on the track, our Club Sprints will be pretty interesting....
I can see it now.  Mazda club owners stepping in to an Alfa by mistake and visa versa.  'Sorry mate. I thought it was my car'.
Ho, ho.  Hijinks aplenty.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).