105 GT Junior driveshaft

Started by Roo504, May 12, 2012, 02:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roo504

G'day all,

I've attached a photo of one of the bushes that supports the driveshaft. At speeds over approx. 100km, I have a slight vibration and I believe it's because the bush is pretty knackered.
Can anyone tell me whether I need to replace the bush? The driveshaft can move vertically probably approx. 10mm.

Cheers,

Andrew

Roo504

I've been told that there are two types of bushes: one has a bearing inside it, and the other doesn't.
is anyone able to tell me which type I need, and how much play I should have in this bush?

Thanks,
Andrew

Colin Byrne

There are 2 types of centre support, early and late, you have an early type there.  They both have bearings inside, pretty sure it's the same bearing anyway.  Bit hard to say about the condition, 10mm of movement is probably getting up there, and looks from the photo like it's cracked to me, for $25 or so for a new one I'd just put a new one in.
Hope that helps
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

pancho

You might want to check the bearing while your at it, however the original bearings are staked into the alloy housing (at 3 points) - there's no circlip to hold it in there - so maybe you need another carrier for that or some method of holding the bearing in (apart from a press fit) inside the carrier.

I was going to investigate how this all went together on my unit but I am going to now try use the later driveshaft (mounting mods required). That being said I've only ever seen one new original unstaked carrier. So there must be a way to get around it with a used unit.

aggie57

Like Colin says 10mm is probably getting up there but generally my experience is that won't cause a problem unless there is some imbalance elsewhere.    Sounds like you've checked the front doughnut and the rear uni?
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Roo504

Thanks for the help guys. I'll get a new rubber and put that in there (got a quote for $75 for a new one), and we'll see how that goes.

From what I've been able to work out, I'll undo the shaft, pull the rubber off the bearing around the shaft, put the new rubber round the bearing which is on the shaft, bolt up the shaft again, and then do up the two bolts and plate which holds the assembly in place.

Can anyone tell me where I should disconnect the shaft?

Cheers,
Andrew