Wiring Help

Started by Duk, April 13, 2012, 07:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duk

I need some help with some remaining wiring that is part of the body wiring in my Potenziata.
There is a black, 9 pin (3 x 3) plug in the driver's side rear corner (near the A pillar) of the engine bay. It has 6 pins in it and 2 of those pins are permanently connected to the battery.
Now, I really need to be able to hook up the fuel pump and I figure that 1 of these pins supplies power via a relay to the fuel pump tho I am happy to be corrected and told it has a relay and fuse somewhere else.
Then there is the coolant temperature sensor for the gauge, the brake fluid reservoir level switch and probably others.

I have the wiring diagrams from Craig's Place, but they are bastards to look at, so I'm hoping that knowledgeable types here can help (grovel, suck  :P:D

shiny_car

Looking at the manuals, the relevant wiring diagram is the 'Injection Wiring Diagram' for the V6 3.0, which is in the Group 00 Complete Car section, page 75-00-34-3. I've found the plug, which is labelled G109 'Injection wiring ground'. The wires can change colour depending on whether they are on the fuel relay/injector/engine bay side, or whether they are in the main loom/to back of car side (which looks to be the one in your photo).

Interestingly, the schematic shows the plug on the injector/relay side carries 7 wires, one obviously unused. I haven't checked my actual car to confirm.

Presuming I have the orientation of the plug correct in your photo, the 'top left' pin (row 1, column 1) should be number 1, and thus carry a red wire which originates from the battery and goes via a fuse in position 20.

The wire that goes to the fuel pump is smack in the middle (row 2, column 2), pink/white. It should be pink/white all the way to the fuel pump (P18a in schematic). It is also pink/white in the plug on the injector/relay side, and should come directly from the relay combo (relay set, S2).

Does that answer your question? What other wires do you need?

Fek, I hate wiring diagrams too!

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Duk

Duk

I need some more help here  ;D. Pretty sure I need professional help, but fellow Alfa Owner help will tide me over for a while ;).

I think that there is something wrong with my ignition switch  >:(. It's not switching off power to, well, to just about everything  ???
With the ignition switch in the off position, the interior fan keeps going, but runs slower. The horn works and so does the lovely Alfa flashy light thingy in the centre of the dash.

So because I've changed so much I need to confirm or eliminate the possibility that the ignition switch is faulty.
Could someone in 75 V6 land confirm for me that there is absolutely no power at the positive side of the ignition coil when the ignition switch is in the off position?
Pretty please.  :)

Darryl

It is possible that the switch is fine and there is some other path being found from something that is powered with ignition off, through ground wire, then
"backwards" through something else powered off ignition switched +12v. This implies ignition switched and unswitched loads connected via same ground wire which wouldn't be best practice but might arise with things like aftermarket accessory installs.. Just something to check (or other way around - have you been able to isolate/check the switch?).

Duk

Even without the Adaptronic or any of its outputs connected, the electrics are behaving strangely. I'll look closer tomorrow, but I haven't even looked at the ignition switch.