Clock light

Started by GTVeloce, April 10, 2012, 04:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

Has anyone tried to fix the backlight for the clock in a 75? I had a go yesterday and it didn't make sense. Most of the lights in the dash are small wedge globes that slot into a plastic holder. When I tried to dismantle (smashed...) the globe holder in question it didn't make sense. It is almost as if it is complete unit. Has anyone had success in changing one or do I need to source another replacement unit and if so, who out there has one?

Thanks
Julian

colcol

Some Alfa clocks have a wedge globe and holder in the back of them, some have a small globe soldered onto the circuit board, due to poor contacts, the globes get hot and melt the globe holder that turns into a blob of molten plastic, and that doesn't make sense, the globes have 2 settings, bright when used during the day with no lights, then dim, when the headlights are on, so you don't get blinded at night, at night the cicuit goes through a resistor, and the globe can get hot, replacement depends on how much melting has taken place L.E.D. globes would be a good replacement, as they run cool, but how they would work with a resistor at night so its dim, is anyones guess, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]