I just love this

Started by MD, March 21, 2012, 09:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

1750GT

I can't quite bring myself to say " I just love this " as has been the reaction from 105 devotees on other sites about this car. Dragging Alfas sort of goes against the grain with me and whilst the power gain would interesting, the handling department would be going west I expect and after all, isn't that the hallmark of Alfas ? On the other hand, hot rodding shitboxes that don't handle in the first place sort of makes no difference and therefore the yuk factor isn't such an issue and you just get lost in the wonder of the engineering work done to them for its own sake. At least that's how my brain box works.

Gary

The dark B & W image, fatter wheels and the rally lights totally transform that car into something considerably more "menacing" than the "baby blue" unit so much so that it would be enough to piss off your Porche owner neighbours !! ;D ;D. Now this brings the topic back full circle with an Alfa focus. Man, I would be totally spun out having that sucker in my garage !

Appreciate your contribution.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

MD

Customisation to another level and then some..does it really matter whether these bikes ACTUALLY go like they imply?

Not really.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Duk

Longitudinally mounted 2ltr, can you say 'torque roll'???  :o
My uncle has a 'Guzzi with its longitudinally mounted V-twin (can't remember the size) and he says that it has some torque roll (I think that's what it's called- where the engines torque reaction causes the bike to roll/lean). 

Darryl

The V6 is very very cool. It looks magnificent as a mechanical sculpture - add some sound and movement and it would be fantastic.
And given all that - it doesn't matter how impractical it is.

The longitudinal 4 is just ugly, and impractical.

That V8 105 might even be able to be made to be ok for something other than drag - the cg doesn't look too bad, the V8 isn't *that* heavy and is a reasonable way back, and if you want oversteer I'm sure it can provide plenty...

Duk

Quote from: Darryl on May 04, 2012, 11:22:07 PMThat V8 105 might even be able to be made to be ok for something other than drag - the cg doesn't look too bad, the V8 isn't *that* heavy and is a reasonable way back, and if you want oversteer I'm sure it can provide plenty...

Yeah, but to go from the beautifully engineered Alfa engine to the cast iron boat anchor, just seems like such a huge step backwards.
There are certainly better engines around than the old Fraud Small Block (I don't actually have anything against Ford  :P) if you have a need for a V8 in a 105.
Oh well, it's his car and to each their own.

Darryl

I agree that the ford V8 lacks sophistication and in a 105 I like Jim Steck's (roadgoing?!) approach better.

Still, the old pushrod V8s can be very effective - if anyone is handing out free Panteras I'll still be first in line...

1750GT

MD fair call, I think I know what you mean, turning a not so great handling car into a weapon is much more of an engineering achievement than blasfeaming a truly great macine like a 105 with extreme modification.

I would think the stang V8 would be a tad heavy up front but it looks like quite a bit of effor has gone into this one. I know that whilst I love my 1750GT it would be great getting a few more horses under the bonet, I'd reckon the chasis is so sweet that it could take another 50 or so kw without screwing with the balance, but that too would be screwing with the balance thing with the engine. In GTA from I think the 1750GT's were pulling around 150kw against the stock 85kw. My mechanic has done some work with hot parts on these cars but whilst they are great on the track they get a bit lumpy for every day driving. So I'll just enjoy her as she is.

I must admit I do have a soft spot for the American hot rods, some of the detailing in these cars is fantastic.

http://www.americanhotrodsinc.com/

1750GT

MD

1750GT

My personal take on the 2 litre Alfas eg. the 105 or Alfettas in a road car application is around 200bhp with 160 ft/lbs of torque. This keeps the original balance from a weight perspective. However suspension and brake upgrades would be required to make use of the added power sensibly. Now to get that sort of performance increase from a naturally aspirated motor especially on carburetors and maintain normal idle and run air conditioning and such is a tall order. Using electronic fuel injection would help a lot but the most useful approach would be forced induction. Power on tap but otherwise normal engine behaviour.

So to keep pace with modern sports cars of the same capacity but not sacrifice the Alfa handling, who is prepared to spend the bucks to get there? Once you do get there, how many purists would appreciate all the modifications made?

The acid test would be a direct swap of the same model in a concorse original condition for a fully worked one in the same tidy presentation but more poke however totally unoriginal. What proportion of owners would do it? I would venture to say none.

My personality dictates that my approach to Alfas is to upgrade them as necessary to keep abreast with contemporary sports cars of equivalent capacity and start the modifications where the factory bean counters left off. However the central guidelines I use is to keep it all Alfa just like the factory would have done if it made special versions of a model such as GM does in say their Commodore range. The holden taxi  is as much a Holden as the Calais on the same chassis but otherwise worlds apart.

No SR20 donks in my Alfas..don't care how good they.

BTW, 1750GT. I just love this engine bay. Pure Gold !!

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Duk

Quote from: MD on May 06, 2012, 08:12:12 AMMy personality dictates that my approach to Alfas is to upgrade them as necessary to keep abreast with contemporary sports cars of equivalent capacity and start the modifications where the factory bean counters left off. However the central guidelines I use is to keep it all Alfa just like the factory would have done if it made special versions of a model such as GM does in say their Commodore range. The holden taxi  is as much a Holden as the Calais on the same chassis but otherwise worlds apart.

I knew we both had a very similar philosophy regarding changes to our Alpha Romero's, MrDee  :P.

pancho

After reading the thoughts and comments on this thread I too love yank muscle cars, I'd love a 66 fastback Mustang, the shapes of that era of cars in just not there nowadays.

What I'm building though will hopefully get the best of both worlds. Stock on the outside as well as interior, but new age power, braking and handling under the skin. We'll see what I end up with.

1750GT

Yes MD and Duck I agree and thats why I've decided to keep my vehicle stock and enjoy it for what it is. I've looked at keeping the vehicle naturally aspired and using GTA parts but my mechanic has also said that its just hard to get a car thats up for it in every day driving and I am not after a track weapon only car, and if I was I'd probably start with something with an easier path to upgrades like say an Alfa 75 with fuel injection (probably the two litre twin spark given its a lighter engine than the six) and a better base for upgrades than the carbie engines but still with rear drive.

MD I like that gold engine, pure over the top American muscle even in the engine bay!

1750GT

MD

I know quite a few guys on the Forum own and love motorcycles so these pics are for you.

I also love motor cycles but I am too chicken shit to ride one in anger. However, I just get lost in the engineering of them as they are often at the forefront of automotive engineering and always pushing the envelope. Check these out for both fun and innovation.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0