Speedo issue

Started by GTVeloce, March 03, 2012, 08:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

Hi all

I have an odd problem. My speedo occasionally goes ballistic. It will suddenly crank over as far as it can go as if I was doing 260! If I kill the ignition it stops and if I press the trip meter reset button it also stops. Has anyone had this problem before? I'm guessing it has to be either the sender, speedo or maybe the Jeager gizmo.

Thanks
Julian

colcol

Sounds like you have a bad connection, check the plug that comes from the gearbox, give it a cleanup, then if that doesn't fix it check the connector where it goes into the instruments, i don't think it would be the sensor in the gearbox, as they either work or don't work, some auto electricians hard wire the plugs going into the instrument binnacle, if that all fails, it will be the speedo on the way out, sometimes a chip goes bad and causes it to work erratic, by the way, what model car is it?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

GTVeloce

Thanks Colin. The car in question is a 75 TS. I will start with the connections and see how that goes.