Cam timing

Started by smiffy, November 11, 2007, 10:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smiffy

Hi alfa people, im a first timer to your forum, i like the comment that alfa stands for always looking for another, i started with one now i have four and a couple of mercs.
Now i need a bit of advice, in the Alfa Bible by Pat Brandon the section on cam timing the table relates to fuel injected motor, would this be the same for webbers?
The motors id like to adjust are mk1 1750 (105020320000) and 1980 2 litre alfetta also stock.

Thanks

vin sharp

Hi there smiffy,
The method of cam adjustment is the same for carb and F.I. engines.
Make sure the 22mm nut is done up tight! Remember that this big nut provides the clamping force that drives the camshaft, the small bolt is only a timing position locating pin......Do not just do up the 22mm nut against the resistance of the engine, or you will have unhappy consequences at a later stage. Use a piece of hardwood or aluminium wedged between a cam lobe and the side of the head to provide a positive stop for the camshaft, so the nut can then be pulled up tight.
The soft and dubious 'locking-tabs' are obsolete when the nut is done correctly.
Cheers,
Vin.

smiffy

Thanks vin .
I'll have a bit of a play.how far can i go?
or should i stick to what it says in the alfa bible?
and how do i calculate the amount of over lap?

vin sharp

Don't let the valves get any closer to the piston than 1.75mm @tdc/on overlap and you will be safe.
You can do a quick check of this by putting a length of soft solder down the plug hole and across the cut-out/valve area and measuring how much it gets quashed to at tdc on overlap.
As for the overlap itself, if you know what cams are in the motor, then check the factory figures and do a basic calc from that, based on how many holes you have moved it from the std mark.
As you will no doubt be doing seat of the pants road tests to see what happens, knowing the actual timing is probably not of importance. 

smiffy

Thanks vin.
That gives give me piece of mind.
thanks mate.