75 3.0L Vs Potenziata

Started by Beatle, February 24, 2012, 11:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duk

In all honesty, I wouldn't get overly excited about the Potenziata engine. I recon most of the improved performance comes from the lower 3.73 diff ratio and a small improvement in power. You could easily make any 3 litre engine better with just some attention to detail in the heads, inlet runners, compression, extractors, camshafts and programmable computer.
The Potenziata's air flow meter was the same tiny Bosch vane/flap contraption that was used in the 2.5 litre engines (same body and flap, any ways). The original air flow meter in my MR2 was damn near the exact same size but my 105KW worth of air flow had that thing at full scale by about 5000 rpm, peak power quoted at 6400 rpm. The Alfa's are quoted as around the 130KW and more, so I'd put money on the AFM being a flow restriction and a power limiter.

DaveB

Certainly, when I went to replace a cracked Potenziata header the regular header was very different
DaveB

AR75's TS 2.0 & 3L Potenziata (Daily Drivers)
1950 Pug 203
Previously possessed by:
  Sud, 105 Coupe & Berlina, 75V63L
With a bit of Brera on the side

Duk

Quote from: DaveB on February 28, 2012, 03:23:23 PM
Certainly, when I went to replace a cracked Potenziata header the regular header was very different

If someone can post photo's of the regular 3 litre engine exhaust manifolds, I can put photo's of my Potenziata manifolds.

DaveB

Since mine is an orange dash manifold, I'll leave it to a white dash 3L  manifold owner to post up their pic.
I know the early 3L manifold is different to the Potenziata, but that is inconclusive when it comes to late 3L Vs P10 .
DaveB

AR75's TS 2.0 & 3L Potenziata (Daily Drivers)
1950 Pug 203
Previously possessed by:
  Sud, 105 Coupe & Berlina, 75V63L
With a bit of Brera on the side

Beatle

Quote from: VeeSix on February 28, 2012, 02:59:35 PM
So Mr Beatle are you still Alfaless? You say you have had a Twin Spark do you think you may convert to a Potenziata?

Yep, still Alfaless.

I only had the TS for short while, but sounds as though I should have kept it.  I was in the NT and had recently advertised looking for Alfas.  a guy had stopped at a servo in Katherine the week before and filled up,then the car wouldn't start.  He;d driven the car to Darwin from Alice Springs in an attempt to trade it in, but no-one wanted to touch it.

Anyways, he rang me and told me it was mine for $800.00.  I gave him $400 and picked it up on my trailer.  A new fuel pump (available locally in Katherine!) fixed it and she was running perfectly four days after I picked it up.

Paint was peeling on the bootlid but the rest of the car was in excellent condition and all I did was clean the leaves out of the plenum, fit a screen, and reattach the sunroof drains.

Back to the thread though, I was glad I'd posed the question regarding Potenziatas (and no DaveB, it wasn't related to yours popping up for sale... :)) but now I'm as confused as ever!!  But that's the joy of Alfas I guess  ;)
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Duk

Quote from: Paul Bayly on February 28, 2012, 05:39:30 PM
now I'm as confused as ever!!  But that's the joy of Alfas I guess  ;)

It really is easy, 1990 onward V6 is a Potenziata.
Looking at the engine will tell you. There is the crank angle sensor on the right hand side of the harmonic balancer and also the 60-2 tone wheel (toothed wheel for the crank angle sensor) on the harmonic balancer too. Apart from the high tension ignition leads, there is no wiring going to the distributor. There is nothing inside the distributor other than a rotor button.
Pealing back the carpet in the front passenger's foot well will reveal the computer. The Motronic computer has Motronic stamped in the outer cover and is easily visible.
If someone has put a 164 engine in a 75, unless they managed to get their hands a Potenziata wiring loom, the 164 wiring loom won't be as neat as it should be.

shiny_car

My 1989 (non-Potenziata) 3L has no sunroof, btw. It did come with the red over white taillights, which I love, but don't know if a PO fitted them. They aren't that scarce if you source from overseas; I often see them on ebay, including NOS.

Quote from: Duk on February 28, 2012, 03:26:59 PM
If someone can post photo's of the regular 3 litre engine exhaust manifolds, I can put photo's of my Potenziata manifolds.

I only have a photo of the L-bank manifold:

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

bteoh

Mine is a 1990 red Potenziata which has a sunroof. All instruments and switches are white but strangely, the sunroof and window switches on the headlining are in amber. Tail lights are red with white indicators. Also I am assuming the previous owner painted the front grill all red. Most others I have seen have the honeycomb section in black or grey...... Will post a picture of it soon. I actually quite like the front grill all in red ......
I wonder how many Potenziata owners there are in this forum? Shall we do a count.

1969read

I have a grey 1990 Build but Aust  Comp Stamp  says 1991
Jason

Anthony Miller

3.0l header pipes are as rare as (insert euphemism), can only find 2.5l pipes now
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

bteoh

Here's mine - I wonder if all the Potenziatas in red were Alfa paint code 130 ??

shiny_car

I've seen them in at least the dark metallic grey too; but not black or white but no reason they don't exist.

VeeSix

The bulk seem red but i have seen them in grey and black in Australia  :)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

Domenic

Hi guys,

I have a Potenziata that i have to change the water pump on. The one that was on it had thew belt in the wrong spot on the crank pulley and I'd like to have it back to original

Anyone have any suggestions where to get one, I've tried all the local guys, and they either send me a normal 75 water pump and the belt doesn't line up, or a 164 pump with 164pulley and the belt doesn't line up.

Can someone that has a Potenziata be able to take a picture of the water pump and pulley for me so i have an idea of what i need to look for?
Any help would be great.

Thanks
Domenic

shiny_car

Duk is selling a new one: http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=8536.0

The quickest way to distinguish WPs is: earlier models have the black pulley pre-attached to the unit; Potenziata versions have a pulley you can unbolt.

When you buy the Potenziata WPs new, I believe they come without the pulley, so you have to reuse the old by unbolting and rebolting. I don't know the details regarding belt alignment, but presuming it's a pump designed for the Potenziata, it should fit, unless something else on the engine has been modified.