Historic Sandown

Started by alfagtv58, November 08, 2007, 01:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv58

This weekend sees the final Historic meeting in Victoria for season '07.  There will be a handful of Alfas competing and it will see the debut of Tony Prowse in his immaculate 105 (another red one!).  Spencer Rice will make the trip from NSW to compete in the Group N (under 3 litre), lets hope this event will be a little better than his last trip south of the border at Winton where there was substantial damage done to his very quick 105.

Historic Sandown this year is featuring the Mustang, and there will be lots of them competing and in static displays.  This will include Allan Moffat's 1969 Boss 302 Trans-Am Mustang, among other significant cars like Norm Beechy's, Bob Jane's etc.

This is also to be the first completly carbon neutral race meeting to be held in Oz, with a portion of the entry fee's being donated to Greenfleet, they will use this money to plant a number of tree's.

Jim Richards has been named Patron of the meeting.

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Scott Farquharson

Guy's, I am (again) a late withdrawal due to some family health issues.  Hope you all have a great weekend.  Hopefully I can get on the track next year.

SF
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

vin sharp

Spencer Rice has just left here after he stopped in en route to Sandown.
I should have thought to take a picture of his car to post here; it is now dual apple green stripes over white body. Kind of hard to imagine, but it really does look good.
It now also  sports a pair of Victorian Club Shop serpents as well, I've assured him that these alone are gauranteed to take a least 1 sec/lap off his times. Damn good value those serpents, pay a visit to the club shop on line and get yours now!!!
See you out there on the weekend.

Victor Lee

I need lots of serpent stickers then!
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

branko.gt

you don't need serpents, you have Mary to make your car go fast  ;)  ;D

Ray Pignataro

Victor did you see how fast Branko got in leaving me no time to state the obvious. You (and I ) need velcro serpent stickers so we can add and remove them pending on who is driving. Ps have got the new motor in the car. goes to Bennincas next wed. for dyno. cheers

alfagtv58

Free practice today....not sure of times, but boy, its a fast field entered in Group S.

I saw Spencer with the new look 105 today too, Vin is correct, it looks great!
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Paul Gulliver

Lime  green and a classic 105 coupe are not neccessarily top of mind but it certainly does look good in the flesh.
Spoke to Spencer today said his times were down today as he appears to have lost 3rd gear somewhere between Sydney & Sandown
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Evan Bottcher

Race results available on natsoft: http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results.cgi?11/11/2007.SAND

I'm waiting to hear about the DNF in race 3, Phil - I hope nothing too serious????
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Scott Farquharson

Hey, Phil stop working and give us a full race report....
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

alfagtv58

I had a pretty bad day yesterday, I got punted off in turn one of race 2 (came from nowhere, I didn't know anything about it until I was in the grass) and the same guy that punted me off was playing silly buggers and he backed off coming onto the front straight (while I was up close behind him) and I gave him a small tap from behind --- he was driving a 240Z and the previous two laps he had pulled away from me at the same point.

Then in R3 I tried to pass (the same guy) and couldn't make it stick so I had a spin (my mistake) all by myself got some dirt on my tyres and the re-joined the track and went to turn left at turn 4 and understeered straight into the armco....it was a pretty big accident, the car is quite damaged (mostly panel, all along the drivers side)....too much I think to make Bathurst given Claudia is about to be off work for 6 months plus, we just don't have the $$ to fix it.

Then to add insult to injury, the guy that punted me off went and complained to the stewards about my driving........

To be honest I am devastated, gutted, angry, upset......Group S racing shouldn't be this aggressive (or political).  It was the last race for me for the year, what a disaster.

2009 159 JTS Ti

Scott Farquharson

Mate, that is awful.  Which 240z?  Surely we can get you back for PI and Bathurst????
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

alfagtv58

By the way, a huge congratulations to Spencer Rice in his 105 who won the feature race 3 of Group N under 3 litre, and also set a new Sandown Lap Record of 1.28.4 for that class.  A monumental effort, given that Friday and Saturday he only had 2nd and 5th gears.  Spencer together with Vin and Anthony Sharp came to the rescue (among others) and pulled the gearbox out fixed it and put it back in all on Sunday morning before Spencer's first Sunday race.  There were people under the bonnet, inside the car, and under the car all at once working flat out to get it done, I think it was probably the busiest part of the paddock yesterday morning.

Gotta love this club and the willingness of people to roll their sleeves up and help out. ;D
2009 159 JTS Ti

Fast Eddie

i received a report overnight from my Dad, who was there all day spending his time with his various mates that compete - Laurie Bennett in his FFord, Colin Starck in his Renault Alpine, Andrew Robson and his F500 Lola...

Phil, Bad luck attacking Peter's armco @ turn 4.  Very dented pride i am sure, not to mention the wallet and the shock of being "reported".

That's when onboard camera's come into it.  Pity he didnt approach you first like a gentleman that Historic racing is meant to be all about rather than slink off to cover his poor performance by attacking someone else's reputation.

As for the camaraderie that Evan mentions - there were some great photos taken so look out for these in the mag.

Well done to the other punters out there sliding the Serpent around the circuit - Anthony Prowse and Nick Rahimtulla (over from Perth).

Jealousy is a curse :'(
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Enforcer

Commiserations on your Sunday Phil, sometimes unfortunately you are going to have those days. Just an incentive to find more speed, to get away from them! If he drives like he does then I'm sure what goes around comes around. We've all had them, you just need to put it down to experience and move on. One thing you can guarantee about "racing incidents", everybody has an opinion, so don't feel too bad about it.

Got Spencer's report on the mobile last night, sounds like he had a bit of pressure to perform after the efforts of everybody in the pits, and he came throughin style. I don't know what was going on down there but it seems like there was a bit of carnage in Grp N under too. Apparently it was in front of Spence in R1 (he set the LR fighting back) and luckilly behind him in R2.

Regds

Bill
73 Nc 2000 GTV
77 GTV Race
76 Gp C A'Delta GTAm 3 x HF 1000
68 GTV
76 GTAm
12 Giulietta QV Race
74 2L Berlina A
75 GTV
75 Spider
85 GTV6