She's older than me, but I swear we're in love!

Started by Mic, February 22, 2012, 04:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mic

Hi all,

Been a while since I've been on the forum, but I started my search for an Alfa nearly two years ago.
After some healthy advice (since this was my first car), my lust for a 156 slowly dwindled and I began searching for an older car (75, 33, GTV etc etc.)
However, living in sweltering Townsville has it's limitations, and search as I did I couldn't find a fitting machine anywhere (bar a very old 33 that would have taken until now to use anyway, or a 147 which was well out of my price range).

So, I did the only rational thing, and bought the next best thing... a '95 Celica.  ;)
Even now I love it to bits, despite its sheep in wolfs clothing nature, it still manages to put a smile on my face and hasn't let me down once.

But even so, the search for an Alfa continued...
And so, nearly 11 months after getting my P's, I stumbled across a beautiful 1990 3.0 75, nestled in a local dealership for a tidy $2500.
Saw it advertised Saturday, managed to somehow locate it using the photos of other cars on carsales (from the same dealer who doesn't like to disclose their information on websites it seems) and hastily bought it Monday morning, beating another like-minded individual by about 2 hours apparently.

So, finally, she graces the backyard in all her glory. Unroadworthy as it stands but as a first project it's looking good. Some money and time will need to be invested first, but hopefully it all works out fine in the end. Looking forwards to gaining some valuable secrets from the forum, and will most likely sign up for membership once she's on the road for good.

Cheers,
Mic
'90 75 3.0L 'Potenziata'
'95 Celica - Daily Driver

Rigi

Hope you've done well with the purchase .. $2500 for a 3L 75 sounds like a steal ...  look forward to some photos being posted ... just get wolf registered and hit the road ... I'm sure you'll think about the abattoir for the sheep sooner than you think
Current
2010 GT 3.2 100 year Anniversary
1977 Alfetta GTV - Grp s
1974 GTV105 Resto (wip)
1977 Alfetta GTV Normal Roadie on Historics

Past
1980 Alfetta sedan('prettyboy')
1986 Alfetta GTV6GP
1985 Alfetta GTV6
1984 Alfetta GTV
1980 Alfetta Sedan
1978 Alfetta Sed

Mic

Unfortunately casual wages and a lack of savings now means she might have to stay in hibernation for a while :(
A quick trot down the street (not exactly legally, but it's a quiet culdesac) revealed a comforting second gear synchro crunch (not unexpected) and that it's actually rather loud! According to the reciepts and the neighbours a 2.5" exhaust, extractors and a manifold kit are positively enough to disrupt their peaceful lunchtime.

Anyway, a few pics to dwell over, I'd love to hear opinions  :)
'90 75 3.0L 'Potenziata'

Mic

Couple more
'90 75 3.0L 'Potenziata'

Anthony Miller

Well done Mic, it appears that the PO has replaced the boat anchor front bumper with one from a twinnie(half the weight), and the trim is the darker pattern which leads me to think you may have a Potenziata, double bonus!
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

Mic

Funny you should mention that Anthony
It does have the seat pattern, and a clover badge on the back, not that they're solid proof.
But according to the receipts I have dating back to 1997, it was sold to a bloke in Adelaide as a '1991 Alfa 75 3Litre "Potenziata" Sedan' from the Euro Alfa Motor Company, and the VIN numbers now and then both match. Seems strange that it was listed as a 1991 car though, as the build plate clearly says 'July 1990'. I'm gullible enough to be convinced, but is there any other way to tell clearly?

Cheers,
Mic
'90 75 3.0L 'Potenziata'

AlfaACT

Mic,

The lead that runs across the front of the engine with the left bank plug leads, looks like the crank angle sensor lead.
If you follow it down, it might (?) go to a sensor coupled with and a toothed wheel on the front of the crank shaft. (part of the belt pulley).
If so, its pretty conclusive evidence that it's a Potenziata.
See pic - lead circled in red.

Peter.

Mic

Yep that's what it leads to, nicely spotted.
I knew they had a crank angle sensor but for some reason I figured it would be mounted deeper than that and didn't look, plus I didn't really know what to look for.

Cool now I have an interesting fact to impress le girlfriend with
'90 75 3.0L 'Potenziata'

Evan Bottcher

If you're interested, send your chassis number to centrodocumentazione@alfaromeo.com and ask if they can send you what details they have on file.  That's always interesting.  My copy of the David Wright book doesn't seem to have the Potenziata chassis numbers listed.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Fast Eddie

Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5