Alfetta GT VS GTV

Started by joestram, February 20, 2012, 09:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joestram

Hi Guys,

I am currently looking at a 76 GT and a 77 GTV and apart from the motor, what else is the difference?

I heard that they have different steering columns? Does this effect the handling?

Thanks in advance :)

Joe
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

Davidm1600

Joe, it is much of a case of what exactly are you talking about.  That is say an original GT from an original GTV or a series 2 GTV.

Some of the differences in say a standard spec original car between the models are mechanical, other differences are cosmetic (both internal and external).

While I could probably list some of the differences, check out if you can say some of the books or find magazine articles which would detail these.

Essentially the GT was a 1.8 while the GTV 2L, from there are all sorts of differences including carbs, cams, gear ratios etc etc, while interior wise the door panels are different, the trim levels changed between models, and for the exterior there are differences with the grills, the lights (rear/front indicators) bumpers etc. 

The problem down the track though is that cars get modified so it can be a little difficult to be able to give you specific advice.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

aggie57

Some differences are:

Engine.  1.8 vs 2.0, most GTV's have later (and milder) cams whereas GT's have the better 10548 cams, GTV's have the cannister on top of the throttle to slow down throttle closing whereas GT's don't.  You'll also find quite a few GT's had Weber's whereas GTV's had Dellorto's almost exclusively.
Front panel.  Vents on the GTV under the grill, none on a GT.
Front grille.  Crate style on GT, horizontal bars on GTV.
Bumpers. Overriders on GTV, none on GT
Rear side vents (slots on GT, "GTV" on GTV)
Badges on the rear. GT has "Alfetta GT" in script on the hatch, GTV has ALFA ROMEO in block letters in the centre above the number plate.
Door cards and rear side trim. GT has heavy moulded items, GTV has traditional board/covering style on both.   Many GT's have the original cards replaced as they got damp and fell apart very easily plus were held on with a few PK screws. Hardly robust.
Dashboard and Instruments.  Minor differences in colour and buttons (GTV has seat belt warning light, GT hasnt; GTV has fake wooden strip across the dash, GT doesn't).

Steering is the same throughout as far as I know.  Ditto suspension and brakes.   Bear in mind we're talking Australian delivered cars here, which on GT's are essentially the same as UK delivered ones.  The GTV's we got were slightly different to the UK ones due to the emission requirements (see above re. cams and throttle return etc) however in the US their models were quite different from the very start.  So don't get confused between what they call a GT and what we call a GT.  In many ways similar but essentially two different beasts.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: aggie57 on February 21, 2012, 06:50:19 AM...plus were held on with a few PK screws. Hardly robust.

Google isn't giving me a definitive answer.  Is a PK screw a self-tapper?  Thanks, Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

aggie57

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on February 21, 2012, 08:26:06 AM
Quote from: aggie57 on February 21, 2012, 06:50:19 AM...plus were held on with a few PK screws. Hardly robust.

Google isn't giving me a definitive answer.  Is a PK screw a self-tapper?  Thanks, Evan.

Yeah - sorry.  My Dad was a pilot.  Must be why I use that term:

http://www.aviationbanter.com/showpost.php?p=453704&postcount=3
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM

Davidm1600

Aggie is spot on with the differences; I had a GT for a couple of years and remember it with mixed emotions.  I loved it but it cost me quite a few $$ and I didn't get too much for it, in comparison to what it had cost.  The GT from what I recall is supposed to be relatively rarer in terms of numbers of cars made.  There is a red one for sale currently on ebay.  Looks like a good one to turn into a race car if you wanted to, or alternatively a nice street car.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

joestram

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your comments.

Davidm1750, thats the one I was talking about in my first post. Just wanted to clarify before I wasted the guys time.

I just rang Marc from milano spares and he said parts for the gt are as rare as hens teeth so it will be extremely hard to bring it back to original condition.

Thanks guys.

Joe
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

Darryl

I don't think you can go wrong buying on condition rather than agonizing over which model is better - they aren't all that different and the chances of finding a really good GT for sane money are slim just because of the relative age and the shorter model life/volume + there are a few nutters out there who really like them and will snap up the good ones (are there any left?).

joestram

Thanks for your comments guys.

I actually just paid a deposit on a red 76 alfetta gt :)

I take ownership on saturday so I will start the long process of getting it running smoothly

00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

aggie57

Good to hear - that car looks sound from the pictures and the price was very reasonable even without the original interior.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 

joestram

Quote from: aggie57 on February 23, 2012, 07:10:39 AM
Good to hear - that car looks sound from the pictures and the price was very reasonable even without the original interior.

Thanks Aggie57.

I'm hoping it was the right choice....
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

Beatle

Of course it was the right choice Joe :)

The windscreen of the GT is glued into the body and is actually a few mm smaller all round than the GTV screen.  GTV screen is held in with a rubber 'gasket'.  You can fit either glass into either body as long as you use the mounting sytem applicable to the glass.

Late GTVs also got tinted glass all 'round.

My first Alfa was a stock '79 GTV which I owned for 14 years.  

Second Alfa was a '76 GT ex-rally car which had been stripped of everything.  I bought it because of its perfect rust free body and took it back to a road car, if not 100% original.  So I can offer some advice on making the Fetta streetable.

Firstly, Alfettas devoid of carpets and underfelt are unbelievably noisy inside.  So if you source carpets I strongly recommend you take the time to install quality underfelt, or even something like Dynamat.  Also take it up the firewall further than factory.  It's not really visible above the carpet line and will help keep noise, and more importantly heat, off your feet.

I also recommend you take the opportunity to completely rustproof the body while the carpets and trim are out.

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Darryl

Yeah - good choice!

My first car was a GT... It wasn't a good choice for anything but the local vehicle repair industry on any rational basis, but it was a lot of fun and a beautiful car (in the dark and/or rain at least :) ). No amount of paint fade and rust can spoil those lines or the fun of driving it on some winding roads, so you can't really lose, but doing your homework (something I didn't do back then) has no doubt improved the odds for you.

If only all my past mistakes were as enjoyable  ;D

Sheldon McIntosh

What are those wheels Paul?

scott.venables