Some Alfetta GTV Questions

Started by joestram, February 16, 2012, 10:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle

Cam cover is easy to remove and install, and it should be, and often.... ;)

From memory, you should have two small bolts at the front (10mm spanner/socket), disconnect the oil vapour tube off the front RHS, and the smaller tube at the same point, then the large cam cover bolts (17mm spanner?).

If the cover is stuck, give it a thump with your fist, or better, with a soft mallet (gently, sideways).  Try not to resort to using a lever/screwdriver.

When reinstalling, don't be tempted to crank the bolts down too tight.  The cover is unsupported under these bolts and you can crack it.

Also note that the six big bolts should have metal (aluminium) washers/gaskets under the rear two, and fibre gaskets under the others.  Supposedly to ensure a good earth path, but I can't fathom why it needs to be earthed.  Maybe to reduce corrosion, because there certainly isn't anything electrical conected to the cover.  People tell me there can be arcing inside the cover if it's not earthed, causing damage to valve shims, but I'm not convinced.  But, the designers must have had their reasons.

I have a couple of manuals and you are correct that some of the photos are awful.  My earliest manual has drawings rather than photos and is a lot better.  Strangely it seems to have less text but more information..... ::)
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd