Getting things done

Started by 0zant, February 14, 2012, 07:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

Mmm looks tasty.  Scrape it off the bottom of the pan and put it in a jar labelled 'dripping'.  Great on toast on a cold winter day.

Looks like some petrol is weeping there and mixing with dust and grime.  I've used carby cleaner as a solvent to get that stuff off, don't know if regular degreaser can do any harm in that area.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

colcol

Alloy wheel cleaner is quite good, just don't let it dry, and when you clean the carbs up real good, you will be able to see where the petrol leak comes from, and fix it, check the petrol lines, if they are hard and crunchy, fling em and put some new lines on, 8mm or 5/16 inch if i remember rightly, the Ryco oil filter you are talking about Z421, i have never heard of this one before, Ryco were Z84, then they changed it to Z89, as long as it has a 3/4 inch thread and fits, thats the main thing, i have also used Ryco Z63 off Volkswagons and BMW's, they seem to work too, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Neil Choi

I could stand corrected here but here it goes.

The brown stains around the carburettors are residues from the petrol, most likely to be the higher boiling components and additives of petrol and petroleum products.  In chemistry terms, polar-like material.  That said, there are also grease-like materials, non-polar materials.

You can clean the area with degreaser which is a mixture of hydrocarbon solvents so will remove the grease material.  You will probably be left with some brown stains which can be removed with carburettor cleaner which will dissolve and remove the polar material.  Carburettor cleaner from when I had a can and read the label, I believe, was made up of mostly acetone and some perfume scent added to make the spray smell nice.  Acetone is a common polar organic solvent (nail polish remover) so will remove those brown residues.  That said, for a few $, carburettor cleaner is easier to use.  

Neil
B.Sc (Hon), Ph.D (Sci), CRC, CTx, Med.Chem, Drug Designer, MRACI, CC, B.Y.Mech, G.Bs

Neil Choi

Colin

Alloy wheel cleaner's main constituent is sodium metasilicate, Na2SiO3, which is a mild alkaline substance which in solution will mildly dissolves the grease and grime on components ie wheels and perhaps carburettors. 

Compared with sodium hydroxide (caustic soda to the layman) is also alkaline but very corrosive so will react severely with alloys especially aluminum.

What alkaline does is hydrolyses the fatty acids and fatty esters of the brown stains and make them water soluble hence you can then wash off with water. 

It is basically soap making.

Just some useless information.

0zant

hrm

looks like i had better be careful cleaning that little boxer or i will send the space time continuum spinning ...

thanks Neil btw ... ill now read the back of cans instead of just the cool claims on the front ;p

hehe regards

colcol

Still use alloy wheel cleaner to clean stains of heads, gearbox casings, carby's, but first, clean off dirt with truck wash, then clean off any oil with kerosene, then if their are still stains, hit it with some wheel cleaner, but don't let it dry, use a alloy wheel cleaning brush to activate the cleaner and wash off with water, there are good alloy wheel cleaners that have 'good' cleaning chemicals, and there are ones with 'bad' chemicals that are just too harsh and cause corrosion, the ones that are bad mostly got banned a few years ago, because of their links with cancer, the brand name cleaners are mostly good, at work we have a fail proof way of cleaning alloy components without any corrosion problems, its called the apprentice with scotch brite and kero, give it a go at home, it really works, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

0zant

A pressie for me arrived for me today .... and what a beautiful note it now plays ... OMG

looking at full engine clean up and  exhaust options next .... ideas anyone ???

speaking of exhausts .... the two hoses from the exhaust to the airbox either side ... can they be not used to keep things cooler?

regards

colcol

The 2 hoses that go into the air cleaner are to do with pollution equipment, i discarded the 2 hoses, as it gave me a bit more room to fit my big fat hands in the engine bay, to make things easier, the 2 pipes in the air cleaner were filled with black silicone, to stop any extra noise and to stop unfiltered air going to the carbys, i have seen corks put in the pipes or plugs off chair legs put in, but that looks like something should be on it that isn't, and you have fiddled with the pollution equipment, and i notice you have airconditioning, is it a going?, or like 90% of all 33's disconnected, cause its too much trouble, Colin.

0zant

Quote from: colcol on March 05, 2012, 07:50:40 PM
and i notice you have airconditioning, is it a going?, or like 90% of all 33's disconnected, cause its too much trouble, Colin.

yes ... works fine although a little underwhelming to say the least

also back to those hoses .... you removed them + silicone at one end .... what you do at the exhaust end?

regards

colcol

My T.I. exhaust with the 'afterburners' died about 15 years ago, so i fitted a second hand G.C.L. exhaust without the 'afterburners', my 33 aircon works well, it is the Genuine Autoclima unit, not fitted in Australia, it has the 2 radiator condensors under the front bumpers and the aircon air blows out the 5 air vents, not the 3 centre ones, like that were fitted in Australia, works as well or bad as my 156 JTS, Colin.

0zant

hiya all

a favour all ...... the thermostat ??? .... anyone provide a part number or a link where to buy

pretty sure its the housing i will need as well ... as its a 'all in one' unit

regards
Ant

colcol

You could do what i did about 25 years ago and pay a million dollars for a 'all in one' thermostat and housing from Alfa Romeo, or what i did about a year ago, got a thermostat housing off a Alfasud or early 33, that doesn't have the thermostat built in, and get a thermostat on its own, i jumped on the internet and looked at thermostat specifications and get the one to suit your car, 82c if i remember rightly for 33's, and get the diameter and the overall height, i found the one for my car, and looked at the Repco online site and it was on special for $2, in a clearance sale, can't complain about that, you can also remove the existing thermostat out of your housing, by grinding away the 'stakes' that hold the thermostat in, they put it there in the first place, you should be able to remove it as well, Colin.

0zant

new thermostat housing + a couple of clamps and hoses ... not quite the million dollars .... $145 fitted  ;D

colcol

Tell us what temperature the thermostat is, and where it was purchased from, Colin.

0zant

the temp is 86c .... as for where its from ... dunno ... next time i pass the mechanic ill drop in and ask - I do know it was brisbane city area

regards