WANTED: Second hand alfa 156 engine, and a good quality mechanic

Started by Trystan, February 14, 2012, 04:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trystan

Hello,

I am in the market for a second hand Alfa 156 TS engine.  I have so far contacted the following:
- ASV Euro Car Parts
- Turin Imports
- Alfamotive
- Monza
- Alfauto
- Maranello Pursang
- Milano Spares

Can anyone else recommend where to look for a second hand engine?  Also, if anyone can recommend a reliable and relatively affordable mechanic in Melbourne, let me know.  I've so far used the Italian Job but they seem to be more pricey than elsewhere.

Cheers

colcol

This is in the wrong catergory, should be in the 147-156 group of cars, Maranello Pursang Motors, Mauceri Motors and Monza Motors, contact them as they could source one and install it, they are club supporters and work on club members cars, if you buy a motor and then get someone to put it in, it gets a bit messy, before they put the motor in, have them check the motor out for condition and have new cam belts and tensioners put in and maybe a new water pump while it is out, see what the warranty will be, if any, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

John Hanslow

Getting quotes is fine, but you want to look at labour cost and also any additional cost of parts (as necessary).

I have learnt that with a TS engine, be ready to replace timing belt, variator and there is a bearing kit with the belt change as well.   It is not just the belt changes as some quotes for are as low as $750. THe other parts are overlooked.

With a car or engine purchase somtimes you have to make additional enquiries or be prepared to pay a bit more to have this work done.

You can always get a cheap deal, but be mindful when focusiong with an 'eye for value' you do not end up with a TS engine that sounds like a diesel on start up.  

Good luck.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

bix

Pickles currently have a number of smashed 156s which are going very cheaply. Check out the link in this thread http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=8425.0